Spielvogel Saves Senior Day, Merrimack Baseball Tops Saint Michael’s
NORTH ANDOVER, Mass. – For the second time in as many games, senior closer Nate Spielvogel (Brookline, Mass.) came out of the bullpen and secured a win against Saint Michael’s College, recording six outs to ensure a sweep of the Purple Knights for the Merrimack College baseball program. Spielvogel was one of 10 seniors honored before the game Sunday afternoon as the program celebrated its members of the Class of 2017 on Senior Day.
Score: Merrimack 7, Saint Michael’s 6
Records: Merrimack (18-15-1, 10-2-1 NE10 NE) | Saint Michael’s (1-19, 1-12 NE10 NE)
Location: Warrior Baseball Diamond | North Andover, Mass.
Inning By Inning
- Top 1st – Sophomore starter Tucker Lord (Monroe, Conn.) came out of the gates dealing, striking out the side in the first with all three punch outs of the looking variety
- Bottom 1st – Saint Michael’s got Merrimack’s first two batters out, but senior Cam DiSarcina (Shirley, Mass.) extended the inning with a double to left field, which was followed by an error to put two runners on. Senior Aidan O’Leary (Portsmouth, N.H.) stepped in and drove a double to the left-field wall to score two Warriors. Classmate Chris Cimmino (Orange, Conn.) then lined a single to center to make it a 3-0 game
- Top 2nd – The Purple Knights used a pair of two-out hits to put their first run on the board
- Bottom 2nd – Merrimack put up its second consecutive three-run frame, headlined by a run-scoring single from freshman Joey Porricelli (Monroe, Conn.) which plated graduate student Mike Forgione (North Branford, Conn.). A three-base error in the Saint Michael’s outfield followed by a wild pitch led to the two additional Warrior runs
- Top 5th – Back-to-back singles to start the fifth put the Purple Knights in business to start the fifth. A sacrifice bunt moved the runners to second and third, but a grounder to third nearly got Lord out of the frame. Saint Michael’s next batter, however, reached on an error that scored two runs and cut Merrimack’s lead in half, 6-4
- Top 7th – Each team scored in the bottom of the bottom of the fifth and top of the sixth, respectively, to make it a 7-5 game entering the top of the seventh. A leadoff single for Saint Michael’s scored immediately on a double to the left-center gap to cut into Merrimack’s lead again, 7-6
- Bottom 9th – Striking out two batters in a clean eighth inning, Spielvogel returned to the mound in the ninth. The first Purple Knight was hit by a pitch, and two outs later the visitors had the tying run 90 feet from home. Merrimack’s top reliever buckled down, and won the game on a punch out
Inside The Numbers
- WP: Lord (3-2) | LP: Martin (0-4) | S: Spielvogel (4)
- Lord left the game in the sixth inning, finishing with 5.1 innings pitched, allowing three runs on eight hits while striking out five Purple Knights
- Spielvogel collected his first two-inning save of the season, moving into a tie for second in the conference with four on the year. He has a program-leading 15 in his career, and now has not allowed an earned run in nine straight appearances, boasting a 0.77 ERA and .132 batting average against
- DiSarcina had posted four 0-for-4 outings over his last five appearances before breaking out of that slump with two doubles and three runs scored. Through the weekend he boasts 194 career hits, six away from becoming the third Warrior ever to reach 200 base knocks
- O’Leary’s big offense Senior Day included a team-best three RBI. DiSarcina, O’Leary and Cimmino all posted multi-hit efforts on Sunday
- Paul Buckley (Sagamore Beach, Mass.), Cimmino, Matt DiNello (Souhtington, Conn.), DiSarcina, Tyler Lyne (Agawam, Mass.), Michael Nocera (Bristol, Conn.), O’Leary, Ryan Petrone (Leicester, Mass.), Spielvogel and Joe Velozo (Tewksbury, Mass.) were all honored during the pregame festivities
The Navy and Gold return to the Warrior Diamond on Tuesday afternoon for their last divisional game of the season against Assumption. First pitch is set for 3:30 p.m. as Merrimack looks for the season sweep over the Greyhounds.