#25 Men’s Soccer Shuts Out Caldwell
NORTH ANDOVER, Mass. – The No. 25 Merrimack College men’s soccer team saw freshmen Filippo Begliardi Ghidini (Ravenna, Italy) and Drew Lovely (Weymouth, Mass.) record their first-career goals in a 2-0 victory over Caldwell University on Friday evening at Martone-Mejail Field at the Merrimack Kickoff Classic.
Score: Merrimack 2, Caldwell 0
Records: #25 Merrimack (1-0) | Caldwell (0-1)
Location: Martone-Mejail Field | North Andover, Mass.
How It Happened
- 10′ – After little action early on, Begliardi Ghidini broke free down the center of the field, made a quick move, and beat Chargers’ senior keeper Fritz Meister (Flaach, Switzerland) to give Merrimack the early lead.
- 40′ – With the first half winding down, the Warriors were awarded a free kick just outside of the 18. Junior Lars Sund (Stavanger, Norway) sent the ball into the box but fell through the keepers hands. Lovely was there to scoop of the loose ball and tap it into the back of the net for a 2-0 lead.
- 74′ – Senior captain Sergio Martinez (Tampico, Mexico) helped preserve the shutout, with a sliding block from a shot by junior Tom Yorston (Northamptonshire, United Kingdon)
Inside The Numbers
- Merrimack outshot Caldwell 8-2 in the opening half, including five on net.
- Both teams combined for 23 fouls in a physical matchup.
- Senior keeper Lucas Rezende (Weymouth, Mass.) turned away two shots in the shutout victory.
- Shots (SOG): MER – 12 (6) // CALD – 7 (2)
- Corners: MER – 10 // CALD – 1
The Warriors wrap-up play in the Merrimack Kickoff Classic on Sunday afternoon when they take on Molloy College at 3 p.m. from Martone-Mejail Field.