NORTH ANDOVER, Mass. – The Merrimack College men’s soccer team won its fourth straight contest by way of the shutout, defeating Bentley University 2-0, on Wednesday night during Northeast-10 Conference action at Martone-Mejail Field.
Score: Merrimack – 2, Bentley – 0
Records: Merrimack (6-1, 3-0 NE10) | Bentley (0-5-1, 0-2-1 NE10)
Location: Martone-Mejail Field | North Andover, Mass.
How It Happened
- Merrimack had a great opportunity in the 19th minute to take the lead. Graduate student Josue Ruiz Maya (Medero, Mexico) took a shot from five yards out that hit the cross bar, and freshman Filippo Begliardi Ghidini‘s (Ravenna, Italy) shot off the rebound was blocked just in front of the keeper.
- 40′ – The Warriors got on the board late in the second half. A shot by sophomore Kevin Esper (Revere, Mass.) was blocked by the last Bentley defender on the goal line. Senior captain Michael Dushman(Bedford, Mass.) quickly followed up with a shot of his own that was saved. However, the ball bounced away from the keeper and sophomore Andrea Frassine (Brescia, Italy) was there to fire in the rebound to give Merrimack a 1-0 lead.
- 56′ – Begliardi Ghidini had a chance to extend the lead on a breakaway down the middle of the field. However, the Bentley keeper David Price came out charging to knock the ball out of danger.
- Frassine added insurance in the 83rd minute. Senior Mattia Lanzi (Viterbo, Italy) sent a cross on a corner, finding the head of Frassine, who found the back of the net to make it 2-0.
Inside The Numbers
- Merrimack has not allowed a goal since the seventh minute of a 1-0 loss to then No. 9 LIU Post.
- Frassine scored his first two goals of his Merrimack career.
- The Warriors now have a 13-5-2 record against the Falcons.
- Keeper records: Senior Lucas Rezende (Weymouth, Mass.) (W, 6-1) // David Price (L, 0-3-1)
- Shots (SOG): MER – 20 (9) // BEN – 5 (2)
- Corners: MER – 10 // BEN – 4
The Warriors return to the pitch on Saturday, Sept. 23rd against NE10 opponent American International College at Martone-Mejail Field for a 6 p.m. kickoff.