GARDEN CITY, N.Y. – The No. 10 Merrimack College men’s soccer team’s historic 2017 season ended with a 1-0 loss to Goldey-Beacom at Adelphi University’s Motamed Field on Thursday, as the Warriors’ postseason run concluded in the first round of the 2017 NCAA Division II Men’s Soccer Championship.
Score: No. 10 Merrimack – 0, Goldey-Beacom – 1 | Final
Records: No. 10 Merrimack (16-3-2) |Goldey-Beacom (17-4-1)
Location: Motamed Field | Garden City, N.Y.
2017 NCAA East Region:
The two remaining programs following the first and second rounds will meet in the regional final.
First Round (Thursday, Nov. 9)
Match 1: #5 District of Columbia 3, #4 So. Conn. St. 0 | Final
Match 2: #6 Goldey-Beacom 1, #3 Merrimack 0 | Final
Second Round (Saturday, Nov. 11)
Match 3: #5 District of Columbia vs. #1 LIU Post (1:00pm) | Brookville, N.Y.
Match 4: #6 Goldey-Beacom vs. #2 Adelphi (7:00pm) | Garden City, N.Y.
How It Happened
- Goldey-Beacom had early pressure in the game. Nicolas Jaramillo had a great chance to put the Lightning on top in the 11th minute, but graduate student Josue Ruiz Maya (Madero, Mexico) made a sliding tackle to block the shot and pushed out away from danger.
- Junior Lars Sund (Stavanger, Norway) made his way to the right side of the box and his shot was barely tipped away by Suhail Bismilla.
- Freshman Filippo Begliardi Ghidini (Ravenna, Italy) had an opportunity in the 20th minute. A through ball slipped by a defender and the foot race was on. However, the Goldey-Beacom keeper came out to challenge the play to intercept the ball just outside the six-yard box.
- 38′ – It was the Lightning who struck first. Jaramillo dribbled through the defense and chipped the ball by the oncoming Warrior keeper to give Goldey-Beacom a 1-0 lead.
- Sophomore Aasmund Joedahl (Ridabu, Norway) had a great chance for the equalizer from just outside the box in the 70th minute. His free kick chance, however, went straight into the hands of Suhail Bismilla.
- 77′ – Joedahl had another great chance to find the equalizer, but his shot was deflected away by a defender, forcing a Merrimack corner kick.
- 82′- The Warriors continued to pressure late. Sophomore Sebastian Toro (East Boston, Mass.) fired a blast towards goal, but it was deflected late by a Lightning defender.
Inside The Numbers
- The Warriors outshot Goldey-Beacom, 9-7 in the second half.
- Keeper records: L- Senior Lucas Rezende (Weymouth, Mass.) (4 Saves, 16-2-2,) // W.- Suhail Bismilla (7 Saves, 14-4-1)
- Shots (SOG): MER – 15 (7) // GBC – 12 (5)
- Corners: MER – 3 // GBC – 2