NORTH ANDOVER, Mass. – The No. 24 Merrimack College men’s soccer team defeated Franklin Pierce, 2-0, in the NE10 Quarterfinal matchup on Tuesday night from Martone-Mejail Field. The Warriors will now host So. Connecticut State on Friday night at 7 p.m.
Score: No. 18 Merrimack – 2, Franklin Pierce – 0 | Final
Records: No. 18 Merrimack (14-2-2, 11-1-2 NE10) |Franklin Pierce (7-7-2, 5-7-2 NE10)
Location: Martone-Mejail Field | North Andover, Mass.
2017 NE10 Championship:
Tuesday, October 31st
Quarterfinals – at Higher Seeds
Match 1: #8 Bentley 2, #1 Adelphi, 1
Match 2: #7 Franklin Pierce 0 at #2 Merrimack 2
Match 3: #6 Saint Rose 1, #3 Southern Connecticut, 3
Match 4: #5 Le Moyne, 0, #4 Southern New Hampshire, 0 (LEM won 4-2 in PK)
Friday, November 3rd
Semifinals – at Higher Seeds
Match 5: #8 Bentley at #5 Le Moyne TBD
Match 6: #3 Southern Connecticut vs. #2 Merrimack (7:00 PM)
Sunday, November 5th
Championship Final at Highest Seed
Match 7: Match 5 Winner vs. Match 6 winner (1:00 PM)
How It Happened
- Neither team could really get much offense going, as the teams combined for six shots, three of them on net.
- 24′ – Senior keeper Lucas Rezende (Weymouth, Mass.) made a leaping save to the upper right corner to keep the game scoreless.
- 46′ – The Warriors wasted little time for the games’ first goal. Senior Juan Meza (Cali, Columbia) crossed the ball into the box, and junior Lars Sund (Stavanger, Norway) tapped the ball into the net.
- 56′ – Merrimack extended its lead, as senior Michael Dushman (Bedford, Mass.) sent a long pass down the right side of the field to classmate Aasmund Joedahl (Ridabu, Norway). Joedahl made a quick move on the defender and fired a low shot into the corner to make it 2-0.
Inside The Numbers
- The two shots in the first half was the second lowest shot total Merrimack had given up in a half.
- It was Rezende’s 11th shutout of the season, as he made three saves.
- Sund scored his second consecutive game-winner and picked up his sixth goal of the season. He now leads the team with 19 points.
- Keeper records: Lucas Rezende (D, 14-2-2,) // Jadel Poon-Lewis (D, 7-7-2)
- Shots (SOG): MER – 12 (5) // FPU – 9 (3)
- Corners: MER – 5 // FPU – 1
The Warriors will be hosting Southern Connecticut State in the NE10 Championship Semifinal game on Friday, Nov. 3 from Martone-Mejail Field at 7 p.m.