COLCHESTER, Vt. – The Merrimack College men’s soccer team shutout its second straight opponent of the season, defeating Saint Michael’s College, 3-0, on Tuesday afternoon at Duffy Field, during a Northeast-10 Conference matchup.
Score: Merrimack – 3, Saint Michael’s – 0
Records: Merrimack (4-1, 1-0 NE10) | Saint Michael’s (1-1-1, 0-1 NE10)
Location: Duffy Field | Colchester, Vt.
How It Happened
- Freshman Drew Lovely (Weymouth, Mass.) wasted little time to put the Warriors ahead. An initial shot by junior Lars Sund (Stavanger, Norway)in the third minute was blocked, but Lovely was by the right post, diving for the header to put his team up 1-0.
- Sophomore Aasmund Joedahl (Ridabu, Norway) extended the lead in the seventh minute. Graduate student Josue Ruiz Maya‘s (Madero, Mexico) shot to the left was tipped in off of Joedahl’s head. The Warriors continued putting pressure on, as a shot from freshman Filippo Begliardi Ghidini (Ravenna, Italy) was stopped on the goal-line by the last possible defender, following a corner kick.
- The Purple Knights put late pressure in the first half with three shots, but only one landed on net and it was turned aside by senior keeper Lucas Rezende (Weymouth, Mass.).
- Sund extended Merrimack’s lead two minutes into the second half. After receiving a pass from Begliardi Ghidini at the top of the box, Sund fired a shot to the lower left corner for a 3-0 lead.
Inside The Numbers
- The Warriors have outscored the opposition 6-2 in the first half, and 4-0 in the second half this year.
- It was the 24th win overall against the Purple Knights, including winners of the last four contests.
- Sund now leads the Warriors with seven points (2g, 3a)
- Rezende, who improves to 4-1 on the season, had two saves. It was also his second consecutive shutout, and third overall.
- Shots (SOG): MER – 10 (7) // SMC – 9 (2)
- Corners: MER – 7 // SMC – 5
The Warriors are back in action on Saturday, Sept. 16 at the University of New Haven at Arcadio ‘Kayo’ Rodriguez Field for a 4 p.m. NE10 contest.