NORTH ANDOVER, Mass. – The No. 25 Merrimack College men’s soccer team defeated Molloy College, 2-1, on a rainy Sunday afternoon from Martone-Mejail Field in the final game of the Merrimack Kickoff Classic.
Score: Merrimack 2, Molloy 1
Records: #25 Merrimack (2-0) | Molloy (1-1)
Location: Martone-Mejail Field | North Andover, Mass.
How It Happened
- 25′ – Daniel Massey collected a loose ball just outside the box as Merrimack senior keeper Lucas Rezende (Weymouth, Mass.) went out to defend the play. Massey one-time the first shot for the away team and found the back of the net
- 35′ – After a yellow card was issued to Molloy, junior Lars Sund(Stavanger, Norway) took a free kick from 20 yards away. The ball skipped through everyone to find graduate-student Josue Ruiz Maya (Madero, Mexico) just outside the net, who tipped the ball past the keeper to even the game at one
- 59′ – Raul Bonilla (Brentwood, N.Y.) made two big saves for the Lions on back-to-back shots by juniors Sergio Martinez (Tampico, Mexico) and Sund to keep the game tied
- 78′ – Senior Juan Meza (Cali, Colombia) gave Merrimack the lead as he made two defenders miss inside the box and fired a shot just within the post for the eventual game-winner
Inside The Numbers
- Merrimack outshot Molloy 6-1 in the first half.
- Both teams combined for 32 fouls, including six yellow cards. Five of the yellow’s came against Molloy and three of those came within two minutes of each other in the opening half.
- Rezende had two saves and improved to 2-0 on the young season.
- Shots (SOG): MER – 17 (8) // MOL – 6 (3)
- Corners: MER – 2 // MOL – 3
Merrimack travels to Bridgeport, Conn. to take on seventh-ranked LIU Post in the Purple Knight Classic on Thursday afternoon at 4 p.m.