Merrimack Men’s Soccer Comes Back From Early Deficit to Draw AIC
NORTH ANDOVER, Mass. – The Merrimack College men’s soccer team battled American International College to a 3-3 draw, Saturday night during NE10 action at Martone-Mejail Field.
Score: Merrimack – 3, American Int’l – 3
Records: Merrimack (6-1-1, 3-0-1 NE10) | Bentley (2-4-1, 1-2-1 NE10)
Location: Martone-Mejail Field | North Andover, Mass.
How It Happened
- AIC took a quick lead on a goal by Jovanni Garcia to begin the game
- 16‘ – A corner kick for the Warriors led to the game-tying goal. Senior Michael Dushman (Bedford, Mass.) found the ball near the net, firing it but it was stopped by a diving Nicholas Romei. Sophomore Aasmund Joedahl (Ridabu, Norway) was there to corral the rebound and hit the open net.
- 17′ – Freshman Felippo Begliardi Ghidini (Ravenna, Italy) had a chance to take the lead, blasting a shot from six yards out, but it was blocked by a Yellow Jacket defender.
- AIC capitalized on a Merrimack turnover. Garcia scored his second goal of the contest, after forcing a turnover.
- 37′ – Beglairdi Ghidini scored his third goal of the season ripping a shot to the upper right corner of the net.
- Alexandre Frank scored a go-ahead goal for AIC in the 65th minute. Jake Durham fired a shot towards the lower left side of the net, and Frank dove past the keeper to head the ball into the back of the goal.
- That was not the end, however, as Merrimack tied the game in the final moments of regulation. Joedahl scored his second goal on a penalty kick in the 87th minute.
Inside The Numbers
- There was a combined 41 fouls in the game. 13 coming in both the overtime periods. Six yellow cards were issued, three for each team.
- Joedahl tied his season-high for total goals, collecting two in tonight’s draw.
- Keeper records: Senior Lucas Rezende (Weymouth, Mass.) (T, 6-1-1) // Nicholas Romei (T, 2-3-1)
- Shots (SOG): MER – 18 (6) // AIC – 10 (4)
- Corners: MER – 8 // AIC – 2
The Warriors heads to Easton, Massachusetts to take on Stonehill College for a 4 p.m. NE10 contest.