ALBANY, N.Y. – The No. 20 Merrimack College men’s soccer team defeated Saint Rose, 3-1, on Saturday afternoon from Sullivan Field in NE10 action.
Score: No. 20 Merrimack – 3, Saint Rose – 1
Records: Merrimack (9-1-1, 6-0-1 NE10) |Saint Rose (4-6 3-3 NE10)
Location: Sullivan Field | Albany, N.Y.
How It Happened
- 8′ – Freshman Filippo Begliardi Ghidini (Ravenna, Italy) redirected a deflection following a Merrimack corner kick to give his team a 1-0 lead. Junior Sam King(Mansfield, England) and senior Mattia Lanzi(Vitberbo, Italy) picked up assists on the tally. Nine seconds later, Begliardi Ghidini fired a low drive from 25 yards out to extend the lead for the Warriors.
- 15′ – The Golden Knights cut the deficit in half on a goal by Haruna-Iya Suleiman.
- 41′ – As time was winding down in the first half, Saint Rose gave up an own goal, to give Merrimack a 3-1 lead. That score would hold for the remainder of the game.
Inside The Numbers
- The Warriors have an eight-game unbeaten streak, with seven victories and a draw.
- During that streak, Merrimack has outscored its opponents 21-4.
- Begliardi Ghidini now leads the team with 15 points (6g, 3a). He is now third in conference play with four goals.
- Keeper records: Senior Lucas Rezende (Weymouth, Mass.) (W, 9-1-1,) // Gianni Carillo (L,4-3)
- Shots (SOG): MER – 11 (4) // STR – 2 (2)
- Corners: MER – 3 // STR – 2
Merrimack hosts Saint Anselm on Tuesday night at Martone-Mejail Field for a midweek NE10 contest. Game time is set for 7 p.m.