Merrimack Men’s Soccer Remains Unbeaten in NE10 with Win Over Le Moyne
NORTH ANDOVER, Mass. – The Merrimack College men’s soccer picked up a 3-0 victory over Le Moyne College, on Saturday afternoon in NE10 play from Martone-Mejail Field. Senior keeper Lucas Rezende(Weymouth, Mass.) picked up his seventh shutout of the year.
Score: Merrimack – 3, Le Moyne – 0
Records: Merrimack (8-1-1, 5-0-1 NE10) | Le Moyne (6-2-1, 3-2-1 NE10)
Location: Martone-Mejail Field | North Andover, Mass.
How It Happened
- 26′ – Senior Mattia Lanzi (Viterbo, Italy) drilled a shot that went off the cross bar and bounced on the outside of the goal line.
- 39′ – The Warriors jumped out to a late lead in the first half. Junior Lars Sund (Stavanger, Norway) sent a cross from the left side to the far post, finding the head of freshman Zachery Elliot (Manchester, N.H.). Elliot headed the ball just by the Le Moyne keeper.
- 53′ – Sund picked up his second helper of the game, feeding freshman Filippo Begliardi Ghidini (Ravenna, Italy) just outside the box. The freshman put a soft touch on the ball that rolled to the corner of the net for a 2-0 Merrimack lead.
- Just over a minute later, Sund put himself in the goal column, firing a free kick to the upper right hand corner from the sideline. It was placed just outside the reach of the Le Moyne keeper.
Inside The Numbers
- It was the fifth time this season that the Warriors have scored three goals in a game, four of those were shutouts.
- Sund now leads the team with 13 points (4g, 5a). It was his second multi-point game of the season.
- Elliot appeared in his fifth game as a rookie, picking up his first-career goal.
- Keeper records: Lucas Rezende (W, 8-1-1) // Ben Beaury (L, 6-2-1)
- Shots (SOG): MER – 17 (10) // LEM – 8 (4)
- Corners: MER – 4 // LEM – 5
Merrimack returns to the field next Saturday, Oct. 7 at Saint Rose from Sullivan Field for a NE10 contest. Game time is set for 4 p.m.