Merrimack Men’s Soccer Stays Unbeaten in NE10 With Shutout Over Stonehill
EASTON, Mass. – The Merrimack College men’s soccer team earned its sixth shutout of the season, defeating Stonehill College, 1-0, on Tuesday afternoon from Skyhawk Field in NE10 play.
Score: Merrimack – 1, Stonehill – 0
Records: Merrimack (7-1-1, 4-0-1 NE10) | Stonehill (4-5-1, 1-4 NE10)
Location: Skyhawk Field | Easton, Mass.
How It Happened
- 5′ – Merrimack wasted little time to jump out in front. Senior Mattia Lanzi (Virterbo, Italy) received a cross from sophomore Aasmund Joedahl (Ridabu, Norway), and dribbled the ball into the back of the net for the 1-0 lead.
- 19′ – The Skyhawks fired off three shots. The Merrimack defense blocked the first shot, with senior keeper Lucas Rezende(Weymouth, Mass.) stopping the second. The third sailed wide.
- The Warriors looked to extend the lead in the 28th minute, but the Skyhawk defense stepped up to keep it a one goal game, with a save on the goal line.
- 33′ – Rezende made a dazzling play himself, making a diving save on a Stonehill breakaway to keep the home team off the scoreboard.
- 61′- Lanzi looked to add to his goal total on a free kick from 25 yards out. However, his shot went just high.
Inside The Numbers
- Rezende stopped a season-high six shots for career-high six shutouts. His four shutouts in conference play lead all keepers in the NE10.
- The Warriors have outscored their opponents 19-5, along with outshooting the opposition 136-69.
- Keeper records: Lucas Rezende (W, 7-1-1) // Conor McDonouh (L, 4-5-1)
- Shots (SOG): MER – 18 (9) // STO – 12 (6)
- Corners: MER – 8 // STO – 3
Merrimack returns to the pitch on Saturday, Sept. 30 against Le Moyne College for a noon start time at Martone-Mejail Field in NE10 action.