NORTH ANDOVER, Mass. – The No. 14 Merrimack College men’s soccer team extended its unbeaten streak to nine games, defeating Saint Anselm 1-0, on Tuesday night during NE10 action from Martone-Mejail Field.
Score: Merrimack – 1, Saint Anselm – 0
Records: Merrimack (10-1-1, 7-0-1 NE10) |Saint Anselm (3-6-1, 3-5 NE10)
Location: Martone-Mejail Field | North Andover, Mass.
How It Happened
- In a half that neither team had a decent scoring chance, it was a late strike in the 45th minute by the Warriors. Senior Michael Dushman(Bedford, Mass.) sent a cross from about 30 yards away right into the box, finding the head of freshman Filippo Begliardi Ghidini(Ravenna, Italy). The freshman angled the shot to the upper right corner to give Merrimack a 1-0 lead.
- 53 ‘ – Senior Juan Meza (Cali, Columbia) had a chance to extend Merrimack’s lead, but his shot went just wide of the net.
- 55′ – A free kick was awarded to the Warriors just outside the box, but the shot clanked off the post.
Inside The Numbers
- The Warriors have a nine-game unbeaten streak, with eight victories and a draw.
- During that streak, Merrimack has outscored its opponents 22-4.
- Senior keeper Lucas Rezende (Weymouth, Mass.) picked up his eighth shutout, stopping one shot.
- Keeper records: Lucas Rezende (W, 10-1-1,) // Helio Meirelles Neto (L,1-6)
- Shots (SOG): MER – 18 (8) // STA – 6 (1)
- Corners: MER – 8 // STA – 0
Merrimack travels to Garden City, New York on Saturday for a NE10 contest against No. 2 Adelphi at 3 p.m. Both teams are nationally-ranked by the United Soccer Coaches’ Poll.