No. 25 Merrimack Shuts Out Bridgeport
BRIDGEPORT, Conn. – The No. 25 Merrimack College men’s soccer team shutout its second opponent of the season, with a 3-0 victory over the University of Bridgeport, Saturday night at Knights Field to improve to 3-1 on the early season. It was the fourth straight victory over the Purple Knights as well.
Score: #25 Merrimack – 3, Bridgeport – 0
Records: #25 Merrimack (3-1) | Bridgeport (1-3)
Location: Knights Field | Bridgeport, Conn.
How It Happened
- 5′ – Freshman Filippo Begliardi Ghidini (Ravenna, Italy) tallied his second marker of the season, as he headed a cross from senior Juan Meza (Cali, Colombia) to give the Warriors a quick 1-0 lead.
- 22′ – Meza had a run down the left side of the pitch, firing a shot across the box and just outside of the net.
- Merrimack held a 6-3 edge in shots in the first half, and the only shot on net for Bridgeport was a routine stop by senior keeper Lucas Rezende(Weymouth, Mass.)
- 52′ – Junior Jack Feehan (North Massepequa, N.Y.) found classmate Paul Magazzu (Reading, Mass.) with a long throw in from the sidelines into the box, that found the back of the net and give Merrimack a 2-0 lead.
- 83′ – Junior Lars Sund (Stavanger, Norway) received a through ball from Begliardi Ghidini in the middle of the defense to get his first tally of the season.
Inside The Numbers
- The Warriors have outscored the opposition 4-2 in the first half, and 3-0 in the second half this year.
- Begliardi Ghidini now leads the team with five points (2g, 1a), after recording his first-career assist.
- Rezende, who improves to 3-1 on the season, had two saves. It was also his second shutout of the season.
- Shots (SOG): MER – 10 (4) // UB – 8 (2)
- Corners: MER – 2 // UB – 6
The Warriors begin Northeast-10 Conference action on the road on Tuesday, Sept. 12, as they travel to Colchester, Vt. to take on Saint Michael’s College at Duffy Field for a 3:30 p.m. kickoff.