No. 9 LIU Post Downs No. 25 Merrimack in NCAA Tournament Rematch
BRIDGEPORT, Conn. – The Merrimack College men’s soccer team fell to No. 9 LIU Post, 1-0, on Thursday afternoon at Purple Knights Field on the campus of the University of Bridgeport. It was a rematch of the 2016 NCAA II Championship second round.
Score: #25 Merrimack – 0, #9 LIU Post -1
Records: #25 Merrimack (2-1) | #9 LIU Post (2-0-1)
Location: Knights Field | Bridgeport, Conn.
How It Happened
- 7′ – The Pioneers jumped out to a quick 1-0 lead as Lukas Ostermann received a through ball from Charlie Ledula down the left wing.
- 24′ – Sophomore Christian Mackenzie (Franklin, Mass.) had a good opportunity to tie the game with a shot from just inside the box, but it was blocked and cleared away by the defense.
- 26′ – LIU Post looked to extend the lead, but senior keeper Lucas Rezende (Weymouth, Mass.) challenged Martin Lozano just inside the six to snag the loose ball and end the threat.
- 75′ – Freshman Filippo Begliardi Ghidini (Ravenna, Italy) drilled a shot from 20 yards out, but it was grabbed out of the air by Hessner Hansen.
- 80′ – Sophomore Aasmund Joedahl (Ridabu, Norway) had a shot that got to the back line, but a Pioneer defender cleared the ball out of danger.
- 87′ – Begliardi Ghidini shot from directly in front of the net sailed just over the crossbar as it was the last shot by the Warriors.
Inside The Numbers
- Joedahl and Begliardi Ghidini each had three shots, two of which landed on net.
- Rezende finished with three saves in the contest.
- The Warriors outshot their opponent 7-5 in the second half, including 4-1 with shots on target.
- Shots (SOG): MER – 10 (4) // LIU – 10 (4)
- Corners: MER – 3 // LIU – 3
The Warriors return to Knights Field on Saturday to take on Bridgeport at 7 p.m.