No. 9 Merrimack Men’s Soccer Shuts Out Franklin Pierce
Links: Box Score | Highlights
NORTH ANDOVER, Mass. – The No. 9 Merrimack College men’s soccer team picked up a 1-0 victory over Franklin Pierce on Wednesday night from Martone-Mejail Field in NE10 action.
Score: No. 9 Merrimack – 1, Franklin Pierce – 0
Records: Merrimack (12-1-1, 9-0-1 NE10) |Franklin Pierce (6-4-2, 4-4-2 NE10)
Location: Martone-Mejail Field | North Andover, Mass.
NE10 Postseason Outlook:
The top-eight finishers advance to the NE10 Championship, which begins with opening round action on Tuesday, Oct. 31. The semifinals and finals will be played on Friday, Nov. 3, and Sunday, Nov. 5, respectively will all contests occurring at the site of the higher remaining seed. Merrimack has three games remaining in the regular season, looking to clinch one of the top-two spots in the conference standings.
1. Merrimack (9-0-1)
2. Adelphi (7-1-1)
3. SCSU (6-1-3)
4. SNHU (7-2-1)
5. Le Moyne (6-2-2)
6. Saint Rose (5-3-1)
7. Franklin Pierce (4-4-2)
8. AIC (4-5-1)
9. Saint Anselm (3-6-1)
10. Bentley (2-6-2)
11. Saint Michael’s (2-8)
12. Assumption (2-7)
13. New Haven (2-7)
14. Stonehill (1-8-1)
How It Happened
- Early in the first half, Franklin Pierce had shot early chances, but the Warriors defense stood strong, blocking three shots, while one shot hit the cross bar in the 24th minute.
- 32′ – Franklin Pierce goalie comes far out of the net to play the ball and turned it over to senior Mattia Lanzi (Viterbo, Italy) who shot and scored for the first goal of the game.
- 49′ – Shot saved by Rezende and then cleared out by the defense.
- 55′ – The ball was crossed to Lanzi who dove for a header, but the shot was saved by the Franklin Pierce keeper.
- The ball went back and forth the second half with few shots on goal, but none resulted in a goal giving the Warriors a 1-0 win.
Inside The Numbers
- The Warriors have an 11 game unbeaten streak, just two shy of a record of 13 games back in the 2012 season.
- During that streak, Merrimack has outscored its opponents 25-5.
- Senior keeper Lucas Rezende (Weymouth, Mass), picked up his ninth clean sheet of the season, making four saves.
- Keeper records: Lucas Rezende (W, 12-1-1,) // Jadel Poon-Lewis (L, 6-4-2)
- Shots (SOG): MER – 8 (4) // FPU – 12 (4)
- Corners: MER – 4 // FPU – 3
Merrimack wraps up the regular season home schedule on Saturday, Oct. 21 against Southern Connecticut State at 4 p.m. from Martone-Mejail Field. Prior to the game, the Warriors will honor their five seniors for Senior Day.