NORTH ANDOVER, Mass. – Eyeing its third Northeast-10 Final berth over the last five years, the No. 19 Merrimack College men’s soccer team meets the third-seeded Le Moyne College Dolphins on Friday night for a NE-10 Semifinal matchup at Martone-Mejail Field.
Date/Time: 11/4 | 7 p.m.
Records: #19 Merrimack (14-4) | Le Moyne (13-3-2)
Location: Martone-Mejail Field | North Andover, Mass.
2016 NE-10 Championship:
Tuesday, November 1st
Quarterfinals - at Higher Seeds
Match 1: #1 Adelphi def. #8 Southern Conn., 1-0
Match 2: #2 Merrimack def. #7 American International, 2-0
Match 3: #3 Le Moyne def. #6 Assumption, 1-0
Match 4: #4 Franklin Pierce def. #5 Southern N.H., 2-1 (2OT)
Friday, November 4th
Semifinals – at Higher Seeds
Match 5: #4 Franklin Pierce at #1 Adelphi, 7:00 p.m.
Match 6: #3 Le Moyne at #2 Merrimack, 7:00 p.m.
Sunday, November 6th
Championship Final at Highest Seed
Match 7: Match 5 Winner vs. Match 6 Winner
Last Time Out:
- The Warriors downed the American International Yellow Jackets in 2-0 fashion on Tuesday night, winning their fifth straight NE-10 Quarterfinal
- Seniors Joseph Briers (Nottingham, England) and Jaime Cortes Torres (Seville, Spain) each scored goals, with Briers’ 13th-minute tally serving as the game-winner
- The first goal of the night came following an attempted clearance by the Yellow Jackets, which bounded right for Briers. The senior center back hit a right-footed shot across the box and into the side netting
- Playing against 10 men following an AIC red card, Merrimack broke through again in the 74th minute. Sophomore Lars Sund (Stavanger, Norway) picked out Cortes Torres on a free kick in the box, who headed his sixth goal of the season past Sebastian Tamayo
- Merrimack aims for its first trip to the conference final since consecutive berths in 2012 and 2013. The Warriors last won an NE-10 Championship in 1997
Earlier This Season vs. Le Moyne:
- After conceding the first goal, the Navy and Gold answered with two unanswered strikes to come away with the win. Freshman Aasmund Joedahl (Ridabu, Norway)registered the equalizer – his first-ever goal – while junior Juan Meza (Cali, Colombia) hit a one-timer at the far post into the top-right corner for a 56th-minute game-winner
- Sophomore Tyler Packett (Eastham, Mass.) made three saves, while his defense racked up one team save to prevent another Le Moyne goal
- Friday will mark the second straight season that the Dolphins and Warriors have met in postseason play. Merrimack defeated Le Moyne, 2-1, in the opening round of the NCAA Tournament last year on a game-winning goal from Alexander Alleyne (Swampscott, Mass.)
- Le Moyne edged Assumption, 1-0, in its quarterfinal match to advance into the semis. Freshman Salar Faryar netted his 13th goal of the season, which held up as the game-winner
- Faryar currently is in a three-way tie for the conference lead in both goals (13) and points (28) during his superb debut season
- The Dolphins boast one of the top keepers in the conference, Ben Beaury, who owns a 0.61 goals-against-average and a .762 save percentage