OLD WESTBURY, N.Y. – The seventh-seeded Merrimack College men’s tennis team saw its season come to a close on Monday afternoon with a 5-0 loss to second-seeded NYIT on Monday afternoon in the opening round of the 2016 NCAA Tournament from the NYIT Tennis Courts.
Score: NYIT 5, Merrimack 0
Records: Merrimack (10-10) | NYIT (19-3)
Location: NYIT Tennis Courts | Old Westbury, N.Y.
NCAA East Region:
Monday, May 9 (First Round)
Match 1: #2 NYIT def. #7 Merrimack – 5-0
Match 2: #6 Adelphi vs. #3 Chestnut Hill – 4 p.m.
Tuesday, May 10 (Second Round)
Match 3: Winner of Match 2 vs. NYIT – 3 p.m
Merrimack entered the match by playing the undefeated combination of Miguel Belfort (Caracas, Venezuela) and sophomore Frank Vega (Lima, Peru) at first doubles, after the duo appeared mostly at No. 2 during the regular season. That battled Matej Selecky and Jorge Gonzales Soler, one of the top ranked pairings in the region, through 12 games but the Bears prevailed, 8-4.
At second doubles, Mikhail Belov (Krasnoarmeyskoy, Russia) and Laurence Akwei (Johannesburg, South Africa) faltered by an 8-3 final. The Bears swept doubles play at No. 3, topping the Warriors pairing of Nick Majewski (Brewster, Mass.) and Tyler Clontz (Naples, Fla.).
The two singles matches to finish first were at third and sixth. Majewski could not hang on at No. 3, losing in straight sets. Freshman Alex Slobin (Fairfield, Conn.) fell in a similar fate, as NYIT moved on to the second round with the 5-0 victory.
1. Matej Selecky / Jorge Gonzlaes Soler (NYIT) def. Miguel Belfort / Frank Vega (MER) 8-4
2. Tomas Lieb / David Jiang (NYIT) def. Mikhail Belov / Laurence Akwei (MER) 8-3
3. Rafal Charkiewicz / Rares Ispas (NYIT) def. Nick Majewski / Tyler Clontz (MER) 8-2
1. David Jiang (NYIT) vs. Mikhail Belov (MER) unfinished
2. Matej Selecky (NYIT) vs. Frank Vega (MER) unfinished
3. Rafal Charkiewicz (NYIT) def. Nick Majewski (MER 6-0, 6-0
4. Tomas Lieb (NYIT) vs. Miguel Belfort (MER) unfinished
5. Jorge Gonzlaes Soler (NYIT) vs. Laurence Akwei (MER) unfinished
6. Rares Ispas (NYIT) def. Alex Slobin (MER) 6-0, 6-1