WINTER PARK, Fla. – The Merrimack College men’s tennis team battled another one of the top teams in the nation on Monday, as No. 13 Rollins handed the Warriors a 9-0 loss from Winter Park, Fla. The contest with the Tars wrapped up a stretch for Merrimack that saw the Navy and Gold play three teams among the top-15 in the nation over its last three games.
Score: Merrimack 0 | Rollins 9
Records: Merrimack (1-3)| Rollins (5-4)
Location: Bert W. Martin Tennis Complex | Winter Park, Fla.
How It Happened
In the midst of a stretch of three games in three days across the state of Florida, the Warriors battled the Tars in non-conference action.
The doubles portion of the match saw Merrimack drop the first two contests. The Warriors have used the same pairings through the first three matches, with Steven Francis (Perth, Australia) and Mikhail Belov (Krasnoarmeyskoy, Russia) battling at No. 1. The duo gave Rollins’ No. 1 a good match, before falling 8-4. The senior/freshman combination of Vince Bellino (Amesbury, Mass.) and Frank Vega (Lima, Peru) lost at No. 2, 8-3.
Singles play arrived and the Warriors gave the Tars a good showing. Francis had his best showing of the year at No. 1, despite losing 6-4 and 6-4. Belov and Vega struggled at No. 2 and No. 3, respectively, but Bellino fought hard at No. 4. He lost his first set, 7-5, before his opposition pulled away for the two-set win.
Junior Miguel Belfort (Caracas, Venezuela) won Merrimack’s lone set during singles play. After dropping the first set, Belfort battled back to win the second frame, 6-3, marking his first set win of the Spiring. The Warriors captain could not pull out the victory, losing the final frame.
The Navy and Gold conceded matches at No. 3 doubles and No. 6 singles.
1. Anton Bettink/ Adrian DiFelice (ROL) def. Steven Francis/ Mikhail Belov (MER) 4-8
2. Patrick Sell / Jacobo Herrero (ROL) def. Frank Vega/Vince Bellino (MER) 3-8
3. Malte Christesen/Henning Ander (ROL) def. N/A (MER) Final – Default
1. Anton Bettink (ROL) def. Steven Francis (MER) 4-6, 4-6
2. Patrick Sell (ROL) def. Mikhail Belov (MER) 0-6, 1-6
3. Robin Marchione (ROL) def. Frank Vega (MER) 2-6, 0-6
4. Adrian DiFelice (ROL) def. Vince Bellino (MER) 5-7, 0-6
5. Malte Christesen (ROL) def. Miguel Belfort (MER) 1-6, 6-3, 4-6
6. Oscar Nurmio (ROL) def. N/A (MER) Final – Default
The Warriors will conclude its three-game swing through Florida tomorrow afternoon with a matchup against Eckerd at 2 p.m.