SYRACUSE, N.Y. – The Merrimack College men’s tennis team won at No. 2-6 singles and captured two of three doubles matches on Sunday afternoon as the Warriors defeated the Le Moyne College Dolphins, 7-2, in their Northeast-10 Conference opener.
Score: Merrimack 7, Le Moyne 2
Records: Merrimack (2-0, 1-0 NE-10) | Le Moyne (0-4, 0-2 NE-10)
Location: Skytop Recreation Center | Syracuse, N.Y.
How It Happened
After winning its first dual match of the fall on Saturday against Roberts Wesleyan, the Warriors dispatched the Dolphins in NE-10 action.
Captains Miguel Belfort (Caracas, Venezuela) and Nick Majewski (Brewster, Mass.) improved to 2-0 in dual matches with an 8-4 victory at No. 2. The most dominant doubles performance came at No. 3, where sophomore Frank Vega (Lima, Peru) and freshman Tyler Clontz (Naples, Fla.) dispatched their opposition, 8-1.
After taking the first set at No. 1, Francis could not pull out the victory as James Gayvert won the final two frames including a 10-7 third set.
Outside of that match, the Warriors swept the remaining singles contests. After appearing at No. 1 against the Redhawks on Saturday, Vega trotted out at No. 3 and won in straight sets. Belfort and Majewski were particularly dominant at No. 4-5, as the duo combined to lose just one game.
Freshman Alex Slobin (Fairfield, Conn.) won his first career collegiate match, 7-6 (5) and 7-5, at No. 6 to cap off the afternoon.
1. James Gayvert / Hallam Doney (LEM) def. Steven Francis / Mikhail Belov (MER) 8-6
2. Miguel Belfort / Nick Majewski (MER) def. Jason Barton / Steven Procopio (LEM) 8-4
3. Frank Vega / Tyler Clontz (MER) def. Benjamin Spoor / Tyler Underwood (LEM) 8-1
1. James Gayvert (LEM) def. Steven Francis (MER) 5-7, 6-4, 10-7
2. Mikhail Belov (MER) def. Jason Barton (LEM) 6-4, 7-5
3. Frank Vega (MER) 6def. Hallam Doney (LEM) 6-2, 6-3
4. Miguel Belfort (MER) def. Stephane Legris (LEM) 6-1, 6-0
5. Nick Majewski (MER) def. Steven Procopio (LEM) 6-0, 6-0
6. Alex Slobin (MER) def. Benjamin Spoor (LEM) 7-6 (5), 7-5