MT&F: Five School Records Fall For Merrimack in Charlotte
CHARLOTTE, N.C. –Just a week removed from the indoor season with the NCAA Division II Indoor Championships concluding just last weekend, the Merrimack College men’s track and field saw four school record-breaking performances in an impressive start to the outdoor season at the 49er Classic at UNC-Charlotte this weekend.
Event: 49er Classic
Top Finishers: Cuesta (7th – TJ)
Location: UNC-Charlotte |Charlotte, N.C.
What They Said
Head coach Jacky Mendes, “This was the best start to the outdoor track season in Merrimack history. The Warriors took full advantage of great weather and 53 schools to compete against, breaking five school records during the trip. We’ve started the outdoor season just as strongly as we finished the indoor season, and more great things are to come.”
How It Happened
- Posting the top finish for the Warriors among a Division I-heavy field at their first meet of the outdoor season and breaking a school record for Merrimack, sophomore Michael Cuesta (South Portland, Maine) got his outdoor season started on the right foot by posting a program-best 14.48m triple jump to earn a seventh-place finish. The jump qualified the sophomore for the New England Championships in his first meet.
- Also registering a top-10 finish for the Warriors, junior Connor Murphy (Paxton, Mass.) shined in his signature 800m event that he found success in during the indoor season. Murphy finished eighth in the event, also posting a new school record at a time of 1:54.20. Fellow distance runner and senior captain Phil Harris (Plymouth, Mass.) added a new school record in the 5000m, recording a time of 15:17.85.
- Junior Keith Steinbrecher (Wading River, N.Y.) would post a strong season-opening performance in the 3000m steeplechase after settling into the event last season. Steinbrecher would also post a school record at a time of 9:20.69, qualifying for the New England Championships with the time.
- The fifth and final school record came from sophomore sprinter Jacob Robinson (Riverhead, N.Y.), as he would post a New England-qualifying time of 21.81 in the 200m to set a new program-best mark. Robinson would also add a strong performance in the 400m, registering a time of 50.01.
- Senior captain Denzel Livingston (Billerica, Mass.) also added a pair of quality performances for the Warriors, including posting a time of 11.13 in the 100m dash. Livingston also finished ninth in the long jump, posting a New England-qualifying jump of 6.91m.
The Warriors continue the outdoor season next week at the Bridgewater State Bears Invitational.