NORTH ANDOVER, Mass. – The Merrimack College softball team dropped a close, 1-0, decision to Northeast-10 Conference Northeast Division game against Franklin Pierce on Friday morning at Martone-Mejail Field.
NE10 Postseason Outlook
The top-four programs in the division standings advance to the NE10 Championship, with the second seed receiving a first-round bye and the top seed automatically advancing to the NE10 Semifinals. The top seed in the Southeast Division will host all NE10 Championship games. Assumption has divisional three games left, while Merrimack has two. Saint Anselm and Southern N.H. each have three remaining entering today. The first round game is on Tuesday, May 1 at the three seed of each division.
1. Saint Anselm (16-2)
2. Southern N.H. (12-6)
3. Merrimack (12-7)
4. Assumption (11-7)
Score: Franklin Pierce 1, Merrimack 0 | Final
Records: Merrimack (29-12, 16-9 NE10) | Franklin Pierce (10=23, 7-16 NE10)
Location: Martone-Mejail Field | North Andover, Mass.
- The lone run came in the opening inning for the Ravens. A two-out single by Cassidy Sorensen, followed by a double by Jaclyn Cortese plated the games’ only run.
- That was all that was needed for Franklin Pierce starter Cyrena Zemaitis. The freshman allowed just three base runners through the first three innings, while striking out seven during that time.
- Senior Megan Cook matched that. After the first inning, she allowed just one hit over the next three innings.
- Cook ran into a pair of jams in the fifth and sixth. In the fifth, she left the first two batters stranded by retiring the next three. In the fifth, the inning started with a double, before the Ravens loaded the bases with just one out. However, Cook got a pair of line outs to end the threat and keep the game a one run contest.
- Zemaitis allowed a one out single in the sixth, but retired the next five batters to earn her seventh win of the season.
Notes and Notables
- WP – Cyrena Zemaitis (7-9) | LP – Cook (21-4)
- Cook’s Line: 7.0 IP, 5 H, 1 R, 1 ER, 1 BB, 6 K
- Cook has had six or more strikeouts in three of her last four starts.
- Sophomore Tiffany Mangiameli and freshman Abigail Amato each stole a base for the Warriors.
- Juniors Nicole Nanof and Hannah Johnson extended their on-base streak to nine and four games, respectively. Mangiameli has also reached base in four consecutive games.
Merrimack and Franklin Pierce return to action tomorrow to wrap up the regular season series. First pitch is scheduled for 12 p.m. for game one. Prior to the start of game two, the Warriors will honor their six graduating seniors during the senior day ceremony. The day is also Alumni Day for the program.