NORTH ANDOVER, Mass. – The Merrimack College softball team defeated Assumption College, 2-0, in the Northeast-10 Conference Championship First Round game on Tuesday afternoon at Martone-Mejail Field.
Score: Merrimack 2, Assumption 0 | Final
Records: Merrimack (31-13) | Assumption (19-16)
Location: Martone-Mejail Field | North Andover, Mass.
2018 NE10 Championship:
Tuesday, May 1:
Game 1: #4 NE Assumption 0, at #3 NE Merrimack 2 / Final
Game 2: #4 SW New Haven 5 at #3 SW Le Moyne 2 / Final
Championship Weekend (At Adelphi, #1 Seed, Southwest Division):
Thursday May 3:
Game 3: #3 NE Merrimack vs. #2 SW Pace (12pm)
Game 4: #4 SW New Haven vs. #2 NE Southern N.H. (2:30pm)
Friday, May 4
Game 5: Game 3 winner vs. #1 NE Saint Anselm (12pm)
Game 6: Game 4 winner vs. #1 SW Adelphi (2:30pm)
Saturday, May 5
Game 7: Game 5 winner vs. Game 6 winner (12pm)
- The Warriors struck for two runs in the first inning, thanks to an Assumption error. With junior Nicole Nanof and senior Alyssa Williamson on first and second with one out, a routine fly out to center got the second out of the inning. However, the throw into the infield sailed over the third baseman’s head and allowed Nanof to advance to third. Williamson advanced trying to get into a rundown, but no throw came and that put runners on second and third for Merrimack. After an illegal pitch extended the inning, junior Kristina Terrazzano took the next pitch she saw up the middle, scoring both runners.
- That was all senior pitcher Megan Cook needed. After a quick first inning, she allowed just one hit until one out in the sixth inning. She had six strikeouts in that span.
- The Greyhounds threatened in the seventh with a lead-off single by Alyssa Beaton. The pinch runner moved to second on a wild pitch, but Cook got a pair of strikeouts and a groundout to herself to squash any rally chances for the visitors.
Notes and Notables
- WP – Cook (23-4) | LP – Kendal Roy (11-10)
- Cook’s Line: 7.0 IP, 3 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 8 K
- Cook recorded her 23rd victory, 24th complete game, and 11th shutout during her career year. It was the 14th game this year with six or more strikeouts.
- Williamson picked up her 14th two-hit game of the season and 22nd multi-hit game of the year.
- Terrazzano knocked in her 14th runs of the season.
The rest of the NE10 Championship weekend will be played on the campus of Adelphi University in Garden City, N.Y. Merrimack is set to face the two-seeded Pace University Setters of the Southwest Division at 12 p.m. on Thursday, May 4 at Janet L. Ficke field.