SPRINGFIELD, Mass. – The Merrimack College softball team split the season-series with American International College on Saturday afternoon in Northeast-10 Conference play from Judy Groff Field. The Warriors took game one 5-0, before the Yellow Jackets walked off in the second game with a 5-4 victory.
Rapid Recap (Game One)
- The Warriors struck first in the first inning, getting to AIC starter Ariana DiCioccio. Junior Nicole Nanof reached on a fielder’s choice, before stealing second with one out. Senior Alyssa Williamsondrove her in with a line drive to right field for a 1-0 lead.
- Merrimack added two more in the next inning. Junior Emily Kurkulreached on a walk, before freshman Kelly Dovi put a bunt down the third-base line, reaching on an error. After Dovi stole second, the Warriors scored on back-to-back singles by junior Hannah Johnson and sophomore Tiffany Mangiameli.
- The Yellow Jackets ended the no-hitter in the third, but senior Megan Cook stranded the runner at third to keep the shutout alive.
- Merrimack added two runs in the top of the fourth. After loading the bases, Nanof came up with a clutch hit, driving in two runs with a one-out double to left field for a 5-0 lead.
- The Yellow Jackets put runners on with two outs in the bottom of the fifth, but Cook ended the threat with a strikeout. Merrimack looked to add more in the sixth, but AIC reliever Kacie Allison escaped without any damage. Cook retired the Yellow Jackets in order to end the game.
Rapid Recap (Game Two)
- The Warriors again struck first in the opening inning. Mangiameli reached on a throwing error after laying down a bunt. She moved to second, before advancing to third on a groundout. She scored on a two-out RBI single by Cook.
- AIC took a 3-1 lead in the home half of the first. Kayla Riley hit a one-out double down the left field line to tie the game, before Alexa DiLeo brought in two runs on a two-out double to left field. That chased Warriors starter senior Brooke Bogacz from the game.
- Merrimack loaded the bases in the second with one out, but Riley got out of jam, retiring the next two batters to escape. AIC added another run in the fourth on a two-out RBI double by Bonnie Kennedy.
- The Warriors tied the game in the fifth, thanks largely to a one-out two RBI double by freshman Abigail Amato. After the teams went scoreless through the next two innings and a half innings, it was the Yellow Jackets that won on a walk-off bases loaded walk with two outs in the seventh.
Notes and Notables
- Game 1: WP – Cook (7-1) | LP – DiCioccio (0-6)
- Cook’s Line: (7.0 IP, 5 H, 0 R, 2 BB, 6 K)
- Cook picked up her fourth complete-game shutout of the season.
- Johnson went 3-for-4 at the plate in game one.
- Williamson extended her nine-game hitting streak in game one.
- Game 2: WP – Ryley (1-1)| LP – Courtney Zambello (3-2)
- Bogacz’ line: 0.2 IP, 3 H, 3 R, 3 ER, 1 BB)
- Freshman Bridget Soraghan pitched 3.1 innings of relief. She allowed just one run on three hits, while striking out three.
- Cook and Mangiameli are both currently on five game hitting streak. Mangiameli has also reached base in all 17 games.
Merrimack will play the next 13 games at Martone-Mejail Field. It begins with a makeup game from March 21st with a doubleheader against Bentley on Tuesday, March 27 at 3 p.m. The Warriors will be the away team in both games.