Merrimack Volleyball Blanks Saint Michael’s on Homecoming
NORTH ANDOVER, Mass. – After over three weeks between home matches, the Merrimack College women’s volleyball program made sure the wait was well worth it as the Warriors defeated the visiting Saint Michael’s College Purple Knights, 3-0, on Saturday afternoon at Hammel Court as part of the Homecoming Weekend festivities on campus.
Score: Merrimack 3, Saint Michael’s 0 (25-15, 25-20, 25-20)
Records: Merrimack (4-15, 1-4 NE10) | Saint Michael’s (1-10, 1-5 NE10)
Location: Hammel Court | North Andover, Mass.
- Set 1: Merrimack broke a 2-2 tie by ripping off a 7-1 run that ended with a kill for sophomore Catherine Flaherty (North Andover, Mass.). With the score at 15-10, the Navy and Gold posted five unanswered points to double their advantage, 20-10. Merrimack and Saint Michael’s exchanged points to close the set, but consecutive kills from Flaherty gave the Warriors the game, 25-15
- Set 2: Saint Michael’s won nine of the first 16 points, but the Warriors responded with a 6-0 spurt that featured kills from juniors Sofia Basauri (Beaverton, Ore.) and Katelynn Marr (Franklin, Mass.). Merrimack did not lose its lead from there, despite the Purple Knights holding off three set points to pull within four, 24-20. On their fourth set point, sophomore Rosie Sperduto (Brentwood, Tenn.) delivered a feed to junior Katelynn Marr (Franklin, Mass.) to score the clincher
- Set 3: The Warriors only trailed twice in the third set, with the last deficit being at 4-3. A kill and an ace from senior captain Christina Nye (Plaistow, N.H.) capped off a 5-1 Warriors run to capture the advantage for good. The Purple Knights rallied to create a 15-15 deadlock, but a 6-2 Merrimack run halted the visitors’ momentum. Merrimack’s final seven points came via the kill, include two each from senior Mary Kate McCarroll (Harrison, Ohio) and Flaherty
Team Leaders (MC // STM)
- Kills: Catherine Flaherty & Mary Kate McCarroll (10) // McKenzie McNamara (6)
- Aces: Sofia Basauri (2) // Sarah Rodgers (2)
- Blocks: McCarroll (3) // Gabby Ratte (3)
- Assists: Rosie Sperduto (32) // Rodgers (15)
- Digs: Christina Nye (10) // Julia Colasanti (10)
Notes & Notables
- Merrimack hit .308 at a team, by far its best attack rate of the season. In fact, it was the highest from the program since November of 2014, in a three-set win at Saint Michael’s
- After missing the previous nine matches, Flaherty returned to the lineup to tie the team high in attacks (19) and kills (10)
- McCarroll led the team with a .474 hitting percentage, posting an eerily similar stat line to Flaherty with just one less error (10-1-19)
- Sperduto assisted on 32 of the Warriors’ 44 kills on the day, her sixth match this season with 30-plus helpers
- Nye led the defensive effort with 10 digs, while adding eight kills on 19 attacks
The Warriors head to Connecticut next Friday for a date with Southern Connecticut State University at 7 p.m. against the Owls.