SPRINGFIELD, Ill. – Freshman Krystal Knight (Groveland, Mass.) of the Merrimack College women’s golf team currently sits in 11th overall out of 66 golfers at the three-round NCAA Division II East Super Regional. She has totaled a 153 during the opening two rounds on Monday and Tuesday in Springfield, Illinois.
Place after Day 2: Krystal Knight (77-76-153) 11th
Event: NCAA Division II East Super Regional
Location: Panther Creek Country Club | Springfield, Ill.
What They Said
Head Coach Nick Crovetti: “Krystal had another solid round today. She is right in the mix heading into the final round.”
How It Happened
Knight posted a second-round total of 76, as she trimmed one stroke off her opening-day performance at the Panther Creek Country Club. The Groveland, Massachusetts, native made five pars and recorded two birdies during the front nine, as she shot an even-par 36 through the first nine holes.
Knight went on a surge, as she recorded seven consecutive pars beginning on the eighth hole and finishing on the 14th hole. She is averaging a team-low 77.9 strokes per round, while firing 70s in 14 rounds during her sensational rookie campaign.
The Biology major is currently in an intense competition for a berth in the NCAA Division II National Championship, which will be held at the CommonGround Golf Course in Aurora, Colorado, on Wednesday, May 18 – Saturday, May 21. The top-three teams from the East Region will qualify for the 72-hole national championship. After those teams are recognized following day-three action on Wednesday, Knight will need to place in the top-three among the remaining competitors. The remaining field will consist of the individuals from the remaining nine teams and the other five individual qualifiers from the East Region.
The freshman standout is currently in fourth place among the remaining competitors but is only one stroke behind Kasey Frazier (Wheeling Jesuit) and Carla Maestre (California-PA), as the two golfers have accumulated 152 strokes, respectively, through the first two rounds.
Knight has posted the second-lowest two-round total out of the six individual qualifiers, as Frazier is the only one sitting ahead of her. Knight is currently three strokes ahead of Nicolle Barmettler (Truman State), as Barmettler has totaled the third-lowest mark among individual qualifiers.
Individual Qualifier Scores
T-9. Kasey Frazier (Wheeling Jesuit U.) 152
11. Krystal Knight (Merrimack College) 153
T-14. Nicolle Barmettler (Truman State Univ.) 156
T-25. Ellen Mitchell (Drury) 160
T-33. Jamie Ellison (Ohio Dominican University) 163
53. Diana Munoz (Gannon) 168
1. U. of Indianapolis 592
T-2. Grand Valley State 614
T-2. Findlay 614
4. Ashland 627
5. Southern Indiana 631
6. Missouri – St. Louis 640
7. Trevecca Nazarene U. 646
8. Lewis 651
9. Northwood (MI) 654
10. California-PA 662
11. Illinois-Springfield 668
12. William Jewell Coll. 680
- Warriors’ top-finisher in seven of 10 regular-season events, including a string of five consecutive earlier this season
- Compiled a streak of tallying 70s in 11 of 13 rounds earlier this season
- Fired nine rounds in the 70s during the fall season
- Warriors’ top-finisher in 12 regular-season rounds, including six of nine spring rounds
- Finished in the top-15 overall in all 10 regular-season events, while finishing in the top-three on five occasions
- At the Perry Park Spring Fling, fired two rounds of 75, which are tied for the lowest single-round totals by any Warrior during the spring season
- Fired a career-low round of 73 and a career-low two-round match score of 149 at the Lady Penmen Invitational in September en route to earning medalist honors for the first time in her career
- The mark of 149 is tied for the lowest two-round match score in program history, while the round of 73 is tied for the fourth-lowest single round in the program
- Finished second overall with a 78-75-153 ledger at the NE-10 Championship in September, while earning Outstanding Rookie of the Championship and all-conference first-team honors
- Collected all nine Northeast-10 Conference Rookie of the Week awards, while earning Golfer of the Week recognition a trio of times
- Named Corvias ECAC Women’s Golf Rookie of the Month for Division II during the month of March
- Helped the team break the program’s lowest single-round total on two different occasions this past fall
- The first time was at the Southern N.H. Dual (309) and the most recent came on Day 1 of the Lady Penmen Invitational (307)
- Vital component in the Warriors earning first-place finishes in three events during the fall
Knight will compete in the final round of the East Super Regional tomorrow at the Panther Creek Country Club in Springfield, Illinois.