CARMEL, Ind. – The Merrimack College women’s golf team put a strong effort into the final day of the University of Indianapolis Invitational, as the Warriors placed 13th in a loaded 17-team field in what was the final tournament before the 2016 Northeast-10 Conference Championship in two weeks.
Team Finish: Merrimack College (319-330—649) | 13th/17
Top Finisher: Krystal Knight (72-77—149) T-12th
Location: Prairie View Golf Club | Carmel, Ind.
How It Happened
- One day after setting a new career-low with a score of 72, sophomore Krystal Knight (Groveland, Mass.)finished the tournament strong with a 77 to place tied for 12th in the individual leaderboard with a two-day total of 149
- Junior captain Alessandra Ricigliano (Scarsdale, N.Y.)trimmed four strokes off her Day 1 performance, tying Knight for the best score by a Warrior on Tuesday (77) to finish nine strokes back of the latter (158) and tied for 45th overall in the tournament
- Fellow junior Jessica Wagner (San Diego, Calif.) remained consistent with an 81 in the ledger for the second straight afternoon, ranking tied for 59th overall with a two-day total of 162
- Rounding out the Warrior field were sophomore Olivia Dempster (Auckland, New Zealand) and senior Sam Gervais (Chelmsford, Mass.), who carded a 95 and 99, respectively, to finish amongst the top-100 players in the tournament
- Also of note was the fact that Merrimack was playing in arguably the most loaded tournament field in its history; seven of the 12 teams in front of the Warriors qualified for last year’s NCAA Division II Women’s Golf Championship, while all 12 were Super Regional qualifiers
What They Said
Head Coach Nick Crovetti: “The team played well both days. This event was comprised of the most competitive field we’ve faced since the program’s inception, coupled with a long, demanding golf course setup, so I am proud of our performance. Krystal’s play in Round 1 was stellar, as well. Now we must prepare to defend our NE-10 title in two weeks against a much stronger field, and we look forward to that challenge.”
T-12th – Knight (72-77—149)
T-45th – Ricigliano (81-77—158)
T-59th – Wagner (81-81—162)
85th – Dempster (85-95—180)
90th – Gervais (94-99—193rd)
1st – Dallas Baptist (300-285—585)
13th – Merrimack (319-330—649)
17th – Walsh (356-346—702)
Merrimack returns to Massachusetts to prepare for next week’s Northeast-10 Conference Championship, where the Warriors will be looking to defend their title for a third straight season. The tournament begins next Sunday (Sept. 25) and concludes the following day, with both rounds being held at Bretwood Golf Course in Keene, New Hampshire.