WHITE PLAINS, N.Y. – The Merrimack College women’s golf team returned to the links for the first time since earning a three-peat as Northeast-10 Conference champions, competing in the Big Apple Lady Invitational at Elmwood Country Club on Monday (Oct. 17) and Tuesday (Oct. 18). The Warriors wrapped up the two-day tournament in a tie for seventh place, as juniors Jessica Wagner (San Diego, Calif.)and Alessandra Ricigliano (Scarsdale, N.Y.) roared back scores in the 70s on Day 2.
Team Finish: Merrimack College (334-335—669) | T-7th/14
Top Finisher: Jessica Wagner (81-76—157th) | T-16th
Location: Elmwood Country Club | White Plans, N.Y.
How It Happened
- Both Wagner and Ricigliano made major improvements during the second round of the tournament; Wagner, after shooting an 81 on Monday, cut five strokes off her Day 2 total to shoot a season-low four-over-par 76 and finish with a two-day total of 157 strokes, good for a tie for 16h place on the individual leader board.
- Ricigliano, meanwhile, was among the tournament’s most-improved Day 2 players after cutting a whopping 10 strokes off her opening round score; the NE-10 Championship’s individual medalist went from an 85 to a three-over-par 75 on Tuesday, accounting for her second-lowest round of the season, with the only lower score being the 71 she shot on Day 2 of the NE-10 Championship. She finished in a tie for 22nd place with a two-day score of 160.
- Sophomore Krystal Knight (Groveland, Mass.) rounded out Merrimack’s top-three performers with a two-day ledger of 168 strokes, posting an 81 on Monday followed by an 87 on Tuesday to finish just inside the individual field’s top 40.
- Junior Samantha Monaco (Brewster, N.Y.) rounded out Merrimack’s group of scorers with a 184, four strokes ahead of sophomore Olivia Dempster (Aukland, New Zealand), who shot a 188 over the course of the tournament.
- Senior Sam Gervais (Chelmsford, Mass.) and junior Kristen Gamble (Manlius, N.Y.) competed as individuals and recorded two-day totals of 187 and 198, respectively.
T-16th – Wagner (81-76—157)
T-22nd – Ricigliano (85-75—160)
38th – Knight (81-87—168)
T-57th – Monaco (87-97—184)
T-63rd – Dempster (89-99—188)
1st – Indianapolis (298-288—586)
2nd – Missouri – St. Louis (300-308—608)
3rd – Cal State Monterey Bay (310-308—618)
4th – Grand Valley State (304-316—320)
5th – Northwood (MI) (315-327—642)
T-7th – Merrimack (334-335—669)
T-7th – Franklin Pierce (340-329 – 669)
9th – Trevecca Nazarene (339-342—681)
10th – LIU Post (354-359—713)
11th – SNHU (367-370—737)
12th – St. Rose (367-372—739)
13th – Assumption (375-371—746)
14th – Adelphi (378-391—769)
Merrimack concludes the fall portion of its 2016-17 schedule with a trip to Tennessee next week when it competes in the Trevacca Fall Invitational in Hickory, Tennessee, at Old Hickory Golf Club. The two-day tournament begins next Monday (Oct. 24) and concludes a day later.