Merrimack Women’s Hockey Ties No. 4 St. Lawrence
NORTH ANDOVER, Mass. – The Merrimack College women’s ice hockey team earned a point, skating to a scoreless tie with No. 4 St. Lawrence in the second game of the weekend, from Lawler Rink. Junior goalie Samantha Ridgewell (Outlook, Saskatchewan) made a season-high 42 saves, including 20 in the second period.
Score: Merrimack 0, No. 4/4 St. Lawrence 0
Records: Merrimack (2-3-2, 1-1-1 WHEA) // St. Lawrence (2-0-2, 0-0-0 ECAC)
Location: Lawler Rink | North Andover, Mass.
How it Happened
- 1st Period: St. Lawrence put some pressure early, but the Warriors defense and Ridgewell some big stops. The junior net minder came up big again on a couple saves midway through the period to keep it scoreless. The Warriors had a couple chances late in the period as freshman Courtney Maud (Georgetown, Ontario) two shots on net.
- 2nd Period: Freshman Kate Bukolska (Prague, Czech Republic)had a breakaway with just over 11 minutes left in the frame, but her chance was tipped away by Saints goalie Grace Harrison. The Warriors had four shots late in the period, three of them on net, that had St. Lawrence scrambling but the score remained tied at zero. The best chance for Merrimack came with under three minutes left. Bukolska took a shot from the slot that was blocked. Maud picked up the rebound, but Harrison snagged her attempt.
- 3rd Period: The Warriors were outshot 20-3 in the third period, but the defense came up huge, killing off three penalties. Ridgewell made nine saves in during a two-minute span midway through the period to keep the game scoreless, while the defense blocking three during the same time.
- OT: The Warriors got two shots on net in the overtime period by juniors Katelyn Rae (Courtice, Ontario) and Jessica Bonfe (Woodbury, Minn.).
Inside The Numbers
- Merrimack blocked 17 shots on defense, the fifth time this season the team has blocked 15 or more shots in a game.
- Freshman Megan Fergusson (Kitchener, Ontario) won five of six from the faceoff dot.
- Goaltenders: T-Samantha Ridgewell (42 Saves, 1-2-1) // T – Grace Harrison (22 Saves, 1-0-1)
- Power Plays: Merrimack (0-0) | St. Lawrence (0-4)
- SOG (MC-SLU): 7-11 |10-8 | 20-3 | 22-42
The Warriors return to the ice next weekend when they host Big 10 opponent Penn State for the first time in program history.