BROOKVILLE, N.Y. – The Merrimack College women’s soccer team suffered its first shutout loss of the 2016 season on Saturday, as the Warriors were blanked at LIU Post in New York by a score of 3-0.
Score: LIU Post 3, Merrimack 0
Records: Merrimack (3-2-2, 1-1-2 NE-10) | LIU Post (5-2-1, 1-1 ECC)
Location: Pioneer Soccer Park | Brookville, N.Y.
How It Happened
- 38′ – The game would hold scoreless until late in the second half when the Pioneers would take the first lead of the game with just seven minutes to play until the intermission. LIU Post would carry from the momentum from the score into the second half, firing off five shots in the first seven minutes of the second, but junior goalkeeperMolly Meehan (Fairfield, Conn.) would stop the four of five shots that were on goal to keep the deficit at 1-0.
- 80′ – That 1-0 score would hold for nearly the duration of the game, with the Warriors getting a good opportunity to tie it up with 10 minutes remaining. A shot from juniorVictoria Carter (Smithfield, R.I.) would lead to a corner kick for Merrimack late in the second. Fellow junior Andrea Rego (Dartmouth, Mass.) would get another scoring chance for Merrimack on the corner, but her shot would sail high.
- 84′ – The Pioneers’ final two goals would come less than four minutes apart in the final seven minutes of the game. Their second of the game would come on a header just a few minutes follow one of the Warriors best opportunities of the game.
- 87′ – After a late push from Merrimack that saw junior Sarah Boucher (Northbridge, Mass.) get a shot on goal, LIU Post would respond a net their third of the game with just three minutes remaining.
Inside The Numbers
- The Warriors shutout loss was not only the first of this season, but it was the first one the team has suffered since the 2014 season. Besides a four-goal effort in a win over Le Moyne a week ago, Merrimack has scored a goal in three of its last four games.
- Meehan continues to be strong in net for the Warriors during her junior campaign, as she posted 11 saves at LIU Post Saturday, tying the career-high she set a week ago.
- Shots: MC – 9 // LIU – 21
- SOG: MC – 3 // LIU – 14
The Warriors return to North Andover on Wednesday when they host NE-10 foe Adelphi for a midweek contest at 7:00 p.m.