Merrimack shuts out Saint Anselm, qualifies for NE10 playoffs
MANCHESTER, N.H. – Merrimack College women’s soccer team defeated Saint Anselm, 1-0, on Saturday afternoon from Grappone Stadium. The victory gives the Warriors a chance for one of the final two spots in the NE10 Championship. However, they will need to wait for the conclusion of the Le Moyne and Pace game that is set to begin at 5 p.m. tonight.
Score: Merrimack 1, Saint Anselm 0 | Final
Records: Merrimack (9-8, 6-8 NE10) | Saint Anselm (6-8-2, 4-8-2 NE10)
Location: Grappone Stadium | Manchester, N.H.
NE10 Postseason Outlook:
The top-eight finishers advance to the NE10 Championship, which begins with opening round action on Tuesday, Oct. 31. The semifinals and finals will be played on Friday, Nov. 3, and Sunday, Nov. 5, respectively will all contests occurring at the site of the higher remaining seed. Standings are up-to-date as of 4:38 p.m. today at the NE10 website.
1. Adelphi (12-1)
2. SNHU (9-1-3)
3. Saint Rose (10-3)
4. Franklin Pierce (9-3-2)
5. Assumption (7-5-1)
6. Pace (7-5-1)
7. Bentley (6-7-1)
8. Le Moyne (6-7)
10. Stonehill (5-9)
11. Saint Anselm (4-8-2)
12. AIC (4-8-2)
13. New Haven (3-7-4)
14. SCSU (2-9-3)
15. Saint Michael’s (2-11-1)
How It Happened
- 14′ – Junior Gigi Guenther (Webster, Mass.) gave the Warriors a 1-0 lead in the first half. She received a pass from classmate Tori Daigle(Dayton, Maine), before beating a Hawk defender one-on-one for the goal.
- Merrimack went on to outshoot the Hawks, 7-5 in the first half, but Saint Anselm had a 4-3 edge with shot on target.
- The Warriors allowed just two shots in the second half, while taking 17 of their own.
- Merrimack had two great chances to extend their lead, but a pair of shots in the 77th and 88th minutes were stopped by the Saint Anselm defense.
- Saint Anselm fired off one shot in the last seconds to look for the equalizer, but the Warriors defense came up with a block to come preserve the shutout.
Inside The Numbers
- It was the second-straight shutout performance for sophomore Erin Fulton (Farmington, Conn.)
- Guenther’s goal was her sixth of the season, a career-high for a single season.
- It was the 11th game this year that Merrimack outshot its opponent.
- Keeper records: Erin Fulton (W, 5-3) // Payton Wildrick (L, 2-3-1)
- Shots (SOG): MER – 24 (11) // STA – 7 (4)
- Corners: MER – 9 // STA – 3
The NE10 regular season concludes Saturday. If Merrimack advances, they will play in the NE10 Championship Quarterfinal on Tuesday, Oct. 31 at a location and time that will be determined later.