Merrimack Upsets No. 7 LIU Post as McDonnell Scores Twice
NORTH ANDOVER, Mass. – The Merrimack College women’s soccer freshman Izzy McDonnell (Fall River, Mass.) made her first start in her college career and she made it count. She helped guide the Warriors to a 2-0 upset over No. 7 LIU Post on Saturday night at Martone-Mejail Field. It was the second nationally ranked team Merrimack had faced this season.
Score: Merrimack 2, No. 7 LIU Post 0
Records: Merrimack (3-2, 0-2 NE10) | No. 7 LIU Post (4-1, 0-0 ECC)
Location: Martone-Mejail Field | North Andover, Mass.
How It Happened
- After three straight corners for the Pioneers, the game shifted momentum. Merrimack had six shots over the several minutes, including two that just went high over the net.
- McDonnell was able to break through on a run down the left side of the field. She cut towards the middle of the box and fired a shot to the low right corner to give the Warriors a 1-0 lead in the 23rd minute.
- McDonnell looked to extend lead on a break, as Hillevi Eklow had to come at the six-yard line to push the shot away in 51st minute.
- The Pioneers had five shots between the 57th and 60th minute, two of them saved by senior keeper Molly Meehan (Fairfield, Conn.).
- Meehan came up huge on another save in the 68th minute on a shot by Gabrielle Clark to keep it 1-0. The defense also helped by blocking back-to-back shots with 20 minutes left in regulation.
- The Warriors went up 2-0 on McDonnell’s second goal of the contest in the 80th minute. Senior Jorgi Adee (Whitinsville, Mass.) took a shot from 25 yards out. Eklow saved the initial shot, but the ball slipped out and McDonnell was there to clean up the rebound.
- The Pioneers pressured late, but the Warrior defense held up in the final moments.
Inside The Numbers
- The Warriors are now 9-3-0 against LIU Post all time, with their last win coming at home on Sept. 9, 2015.
- McDonnell now leads the team with six points, after picking up her third goal of her career.
- Keeper records: Molly Meehan (W, 1-1) // Hillevi Eklow (L, 4-1)
- Shots (SOG): MER –18 (9) // LIU – 22 (5)
- Corners: MER – 2 // LIU – 4
The Warriors return to Martone-Mejail Field on Tuesday for an afternoon Northeast-10 Conference tilt against Saint Michael’s College at 4 p.m.