NORTH ANDOVER, Mass. – The Merrimack College women’s soccer team erased an early one-goal deficit to top Saint Michael’s College, 2-1, on Tuesday afternoon during Northeast-10 Conference action at Martone-Mejail Field.
Score: Merrimack 2, Saint Michaels 1
Records: Merrimack (4-2, 1-2 NE10) | Saint Michael’s (2-2-1, 1-2 NE10)
Location: Martone-Mejail Field | North Andover, Mass.
How It Happened
- The momentum was in favor of the Warriors early in the contest, as four shots were fired off in the opening 24 minutes.
- Freshman Izzy McDonnell (Fall River, Mass.) had two great opportunities to give Merrimack a 1-0 lead in the 28th and 29thminutes, but her shots were turned away.
- The Purple Knights, however, were the first to get on the scoreboard. Abby Pelon lobbed a shot just underneath the cross bar in the 29th minute to give the road team a 1-0 edge.
- 59′ – A corner kick went through the entire box, and senior Sarah Boucher (Northbridge, Mass.) had a sliding attempt that just went on the outside of the net.
- 66′ – Sophomore Hayley Oliveira (Valley Stream, N.Y) knotted the game at one, leaping over a crowd and heading a ball over the keeper, on a cross by junior Amber Gustafson (Lancaster, Mass.).
- 72′ – Some creative passing gave the Warriors a 2-1 lead. A header into the box by freshman Bridget Austin (East Greenbush, N.Y.) went to McDonnell, who one-touched a pass to senior Cassie Giza (Orange, Conn.). Giza was able to one-time a shot through a crowd of defenders by the attempt by LeCours.
- 87′ – Senior Molly Meehan (Fairfield, Conn.) made a huge save to preserve the one-goal lead on a direct shot from seven yards away.
Inside The Numbers
- It was Oliveira’s first-career tally.
- The home team in this series has been victorious over the last five games.
- Keeper records: Molly Meehan (W, 2-1) // Megan LeCours (L, 1-2)
- Shots (SOG): MER –26 (13) // SMC – 10 (5)
- Corners: MER – 9 // SMC – 1
Merrimack hosts the College of Saint Rose on Saturday, Sept. 23rd at Martone-Mejail Field for a 1 p.m. kickoff.