Merrimack Women’s Soccer Snaps Skid Against Stonehill
NORTH ANDOVER, Mass. – The Merrimack College women’s soccer team defeated Stonehill, 3-2, on Wednesday night from Martone-Mejail Field in NE10 action. The win snapped a four-game skid for the Warriors.
Score: Merrimack 3, Stonehill 2
Records: Merrimack (5-7, 2-7 NE10) | Stonehill (5-8, 3-6 NE10)
Location: Martone-Mejail Field | North Andover Mass.
How It Happened
- 12′ – Senior keeper Molly Meehan (Fairfield, Conn) maked a big save off a cross from Stonehill to keep the game scoreless.
- 13′ – Stonehill jumped out to a 1-0 lead on a goal by Nicole Garfield.
- 16′ – Senior Sarah Boucher (Northbridge, Mass.) passed the ball over to junior Gigi Guenther (Webster, Mass.) who took a shot to tie the game at 1-1.
- 21′ – Ball falls to the feet of Guenther, who fired a shot for her second goal of the contest.
- 25′ – Stonehill goal scored off a header by Alex Giardina.
- 28′ – Direct kick for Merrimack taken by senior Emily Maier (Meza, Ariz.) went just over the top of the net.
- 51′ – A Warrior corner kick crossed the box, where Boucher’s header went right into the hands of the Stonehill keeper.
- 54′ – Boucher sent the ball up field to junior Tori Daigle (Dayton, Maine.) who raced the defender down the middle of the field, but the keeper came out to snag the ball away and end the threat.
- 58′ –Boucher gave the Warriors a 3-2 lead, dribbling around a Stonehill defender, and firing a shot by the keeper.
Inside The Numbers
- Guenther is now in a four-way tie on the team with three goals.
- Keeper records: Sophomore Erin Fulton (Farmington, Conn.) (W, 1-2) // Catherine Klein (L, 1-1)
- Shots (SOG): MER – 24 (14) // SNHU – 17 (9)
- Corners: MER – 8 // STO – 2
Merrimack travels to Syracuse, New York to face Le Moyne on Saturday, Oct. 14 for an 11 a.m. kickoff.