Pace Tops Merrimack Women’s Soccer, 2-0
NORTH ANDOVER, Mass. – The Merrimack College women’s soccer team dropped a NE10 contest to regionally ranked Pace University, 2-0, on a rainy Saturday afternoon from Martone-Mejail Field.
Score: Merrimack 0, Pace 2
Records: Merrimack (4-5, 1-5 NE10) | Pace (5-5, 4-2 NE10)
Location: Martone-Mejail Field | North Andover Mass.
How It Happened
- The first half saw 13 shots between the two teams, but only five of the shots landed on net. Junior Amber Gustafson (Lancaster, Mass.) hit the cross bar in the 40th minute.
- The Warriors started with the ball at the half and senior Emily Maier(Mesa, Ariz.) was trying to catch the Setters off guard. She fired a shot from midfield that Hayley Pascoal had to leap for to keep it a scoreless contest.
- 62 ‘ – However, it was Pace that got the first goal of the game. Victoria Kealy had the ball on the top right side of the box, spun around a defender and fired to the upper left corner of the net.
- 73′ – Following a corner kick, the Warriors looked to even the game. Maier had a shot blocked, followed up with a shot by senior Sarah Boucher(Northbridge, Mass.) that was saved.
- 74′ – Kealy added to the Setters’ lead, receiving a long ball just outside the box and hitting the upper corner of the net.
- 78′ – The Warriors had a great chance to get on the scoreboard, but both shots were blocked.
Inside The Numbers
- Sophomore Erin Fulton (Farmington, Conn.) made four saves in her second straight start.
- The Warriors outshot the hosts 23-12 in the game, including 16-6 in the second half.
- The Setters entered the game ranked ninth in the most recent United Soccer Coaches’ East Region Poll.
- Keeper records: Erin Fulton (L, 0-2) // Hayley Pascoal (W, 4-3)
- Shots (SOG): MER –23 (9) // Pace – 12 (6)
- Corners: MER – 8 // Pace – 3
Merrimack hosts No. 21 Southern New Hampshire University for a 7 p.m. NE10 tilt on Tuesday night from Martone-Mejail Field. Southern New Hampshire is ranked in the most recent United Soccer Coaches’ Poll.