Women’s Soccer Blasts Dominican in Season Opener
ROCKVILLE CENTRE, N.Y. – The Merrimack College women’s soccer team got four points from senior Cassie Giza (Orange, Conn.), while freshman keeper Megan Langlois (Methuen, Mass.) notched a shutout in the Warriors’ 4-0 victory over Dominican (N.Y.) College on Friday afternoon at the RVC Sports Complex.
Score: Merrimack 4, Dominican (N.Y.) 0
Records: Merrimack (1-0) | Caldwell (0-1)
Location: RVC Sports Complex | Rockville Centre, N.Y.
How It Happened
- The Warriors pressured the Chargers defense early on firing off seven shots in the first 17 minutes, including one off the crossbar by senior captain Sarah Boucher (Northbridge, Mass.) in the 16th minute.
- 47′ – Junior Taylor Cogliano (Bellingham, Mass.) had a soft touch pass to classmate Gigi Guenther (Webster, Mass.) just inside the 18, who gave Merrimack the 1-0 lead.
- 67′ – Giza got her first goal of the game on a cross just inside the six from Erika Scott.
- 80′ – Giza picked up her second tally, as she raced down the left side and beat Dominican junior keeper Angelica Contreras (Baytown, Texas) on a low shot.
- 83′ – Freshmen Izzy McDonnell (Fall River, Mass.) picked up her first-career goal on the first-career assist by classmate Katelyn Richardson(Durham, Conn.).
Inside The Numbers
- Langlois stopped two shots in her first-career start.
- Giza had a career day against Dominican for the second straight year with four points (two goals) on four shots. She had a tally, assist, and three shots on Sept. 4, 2016.
- Three of the four goals were scored from the bench for Merrimack.
- Shots (SOG): MER – 36 (17) // DOM – 3 (2)
- Corners: MER – 10 // DOM – 1
The Warriors wrap-up play in the Molloy Labor Day Weekend Tournament on Sunday afternoon when they take host Molloy College at 2 p.m. from the RVC Sports Complex.