Merrimack senior Carly Muscaro (Ashland, Mass.) and sophomore Michaela Pernell (Naugatuck, Conn.) will run at outdoor nationals as the Warriors’ sprinters have arrived in Bradenton, Fla. for the 2017 NCAA Division II Outdoor Track & Field Championships. The meet will be hosted at IMG Academy as Muscaro returns to outdoor nationals aiming to add national championships in both 200m and 400m races, while Pernell makes her outdoor debut in the 100-meter dash.
Date: May 25-27, 2017
Event: NCAA Outdoor Championships
Competitors: Muscaro (200m Dash // 400m Dash) | Pernell (100m Dash)
Location: IMG Academy | Bradenton, Fla.
- Prelims: 400m (Thursday – 6:25 p.m.) | 100m (Thursday – 6:55 p.m.) | 200m (Friday – 6:25 p.m.)
- Finals: 400m (Saturday – 6:15 p.m.) | 100m (Saturday – 6:35 p.m.) | 200m (Saturday – 7:45 p.m.)
Meet the Competitors:
- Qualifying with the 19th fastest time in the nation (11.74), Pernell will run in the third heat of the 100m dash. She will be pitted against three of the top-10 best times nationwide, including Kaina Martinez of TAMU-Kingsville who posted a time of 11.52 earlier this spring, tied for second fastest nationwide
- Muscaro competed in four meets this spring entering nationals, improving her time in the 400m in every competition. She was named the Northeast-10 Conference Women’s Track Athlete of the Meet at the NE10 Championship by winning both the 200m and 400m titles.
- She went on to the New England Championships and posted her best time of the spring, and registered the nation’s best time with 52.57 run for the 400m title
- In the 200m, Muscaro qualified with a NCAA provisional mark at NE10s. She registered a season-best time of 23.82 in her qualifying heat before winning the event with a pace of 23.86, both of which hit the necessary provisional time to run at nationals. Her fastest time in the 200 came during the first outdoor event of the season at UNC Charlotte, posting a 23.78 clip
- The 2017 outdoor championships will mark the first time in the seven-year history of the women’s program that the Warriors will have multiple athletes competing at the NCAA Tournament
- Last season, Muscaro was joined by senior John Braga (North Reading, Mass.) of the men’s program at outdoor nationals, while the last two indoor nationals have seen Braga, Muscaro and the women’s 4×400 relay team compete at NCAAs
Muscaro’s NCAA History:
- Muscaro’s unprecedented and historic Merrimack career will conclude this weekend with her fourth appearance at outdoor nationals in four seasons and second consecutive year competing in both the 200-meter and 400-meter dashes
- She will aim to repeat as national champion in the 400m, and avenge last season’s second-place finish in the 200m. In the 200, she currently has the eighth-fastest time in the Division II, trailing the pace-setter by 0.35 seconds
- Including her indoor triumphs, Muscaro has a chance to finish her career with six individual national championships. She won her first two titles as a junior in the 400 – once indoors before repeating in outdoors – while she picked up national titles in both the 200 and 400 during the 2016-17 indoor campaign
- Overall, this weekend will be her eighth national championships appearance, qualifying as an individual in every season of her four-year career
Mike McMahon has covered Merrimack College for The Eagle Tribune since 2006 and he also has been a senior writer at College Hockey News since 2005.
You can follow Mike on Twitter @MikeMcMahonCHN and you can follow the site @TheMackReports.