Links: Box Score
SPARTANBURG, S.C. – The Merrimack College baseball team loaded the bases in the top of the ninth on Sunday afternoon against Wofford College, seeing the potential go-ahead run standing at first base, but the Warriors’ ninth-inning rally ended there as the Terriers claimed a 3-1 victory at Russell C. King Field. The contest aired on ESPN+, marking the team’s ESPN debut.
Merrimack returns to campus with a 6-5 record while Wofford improved to 9-3 with the triumph. The Warriors’ next series sees Merrimack travel to the College of William & Mary to face the Tribe for a three-game set beginning on Friday.
Score: Wofford 3, Merrimack 1
Records: Merrimack (6-5) | Wofford (9-3)
Location: Russell C. King Field | Spartanburg, S.C.
- Senior Joey Porricelli started the game with a leadoff single as Merrimack immediately manufactured its lone run of the game. Porricelli reached second on an errant pick-off attempt, scampered to third on a fly ball out and touched home on a RBI groundout by classmate Thomas Joyce to stake the Warriors to a 1-0 lead
- In the bottom half, two straight singles to start the game for Wofford enabled the hosts to take the lead. Junior Vin Zappulla came within an out of escaping the jam, but a two-out two-run base hit gave Wofford a 2-1 edge
- Zappulla settled in to retire six straight, but a one-out triple that coincided with a throwing error led to Wofford’s third run of the day. The junior held Wofford off the scoreboard from there, however, tossing his first quality start of the season after allowing three runs through his six-inning outing
- Merrimack left two runners on base in the third and fifth innings as the Warriors’ bats attempted a rally. Junior Jake Thibault continued his strong start of the season, throwing two clean innings of relief in the seventh and eighth to keep Merrimack in the game
- The top of the ninth saw sophomore Michael Golankiewicz, graduate student Billy Keegan and junior Michael Jamele all draw two-out walks to load the bases and put the game-tying run in scoring position. The comeback halted there, however, as Wofford retired the final batter to end the game
Top Performers // Notes
- WP: Rhadans (3-0) | LP: Zappulla (0-2) | S: Pandya (1)
- Zappulla throw his second longest outing and tied his season high with five strikeouts
- Thibault extended his scoreless inning streak to six frames; he’s allowed just two runs over 12 innings so far this season
- Porricelli moved with two hits of reaching 200 for his career after his first-inning single
Merrimack and William and Mary collide for a three-game series in Williamsburg, Va. The set will be played on the Tribe’s Plumeri Park with single games on Friday (4 p.m.), Saturday (2 p.m.) and Sunday (1 p.m.).