Links: Box Score
WILLIAMSBURG, Va. – The Merrimack College baseball team lost in its series opener at the College of William & Mary on Friday afternoon, 10-2, from Plumeri Park on the campus of the Tribe. The three-game set against William & Mary continues from Williamsburg, Va. tomorrow at 2 p.m.
Score: William & Mary 10, Merrimack 2
Records: Merrimack (6-6) | William & Mary (6-8)
Location: Plumeri Park | Williamsburg, Va.
- The Tribe scored twice in the bottom of the first off graduate student Riley Sorenson to immediately grab a 2-0 lead. Merrimack put runners in scoring position in each of the first four innings, but could not capitalize on its scoring changes
- William & Mary tacked on five more runs in the bottom of the fourth. The hosts hit a two-run homer as part of the scoring. Sorenson work through four frames, but was replaced by sophomore Brayden Howrigan. The second-year right-hander pitched the fifth and part of the sixth, but allowed three runs. Graduate student Daniel Amidon relived the hurler with one out in the bottom of the sixth, ending the frame with two punch outs
- Amidon was the highlight of Merrimack’s night, working 2.2 perfect innings of relief with seven strikeouts. The Warriors scored both of their runs in the top of the ninth as freshman Stephen Santarpia hit a one-out single and touched home two batters later on an error. Sophomore Wyatt Villella pinch hit and drew a two-out walk with the bases loaded to account for Merrimack’s final tally
Top Performers // Notes
- WP: Farrell (2-0) | LP: Sorenson (2-1)
- Amidon fell one punch out shy of tying his career high in a single game. All but one of his outs came by way of the K
- Santarpia notched his first career hit and run scored while making his collegiate debut. His at-bat in the top of the ninth was his first career plate appearance
- Freshman Scott Elliott also made his collegiate debut on Friday
Merrimack faces William & Mary for game two of the weekend series at 2 p.m. back at Plumeri Park tomorrow.