Links: Box Score
SPARTANBURG, S.C. – The Merrimack College baseball team dropped its second of three games this weekend at Wofford College, 8-0, on Saturday afternoon at Russell C. King Field on the Terriers’ campus.
The Warriors and Terriers will now meet for a rubber game of their three-game series tomorrow afternoon. First pitch is scheduled for 1 p.m.
Score: Wofford 8, Merrimack 0
Records: Merrimack (6-4) | Wofford (8-3)
Location: Russell C. King Field | Spartanburg, S.C.
- Sophomore Cedric Gillette took the ball for Merrimack, putting up two scoreless innings to start his outing. Wofford chased Gillette in the third, however, scoring six times in the inning to build a 6-0 lead
- Freshman Justin Butera relived Gillette and ended the third inning. He threw a clean fourth frame before allowing a pair of runs in the fifth. The rookie recovered to list the damage there, leaving the bases loaded in the inning
- Merrimack’s offense broke through with a pair of hits in the sixth including a double for senior Nick Shumski, but could not score. Merrimack’s best chance for offense came in the top of the eight – with runners on the corners with one out – but an inning-ended double play quieted the rally
- Freshman Jack Collins pitched the eighth for the visitors, making his collegiate debut
Top Performers // Notes
- WP: Heinecke (2-1) | LP: Gillette (2-1)
- Shumski hit his team-leading fourth double of the year
- Porricelli hit a single for his 197th career hit. He needs three more to become the seventh player in school history with 200 career hits
- Senior Connor Suech, sophomore Jack Lynch and freshman Jake Macchi all made their season debuts on Saturday
Merrimack and Wofford meet for one final time tomorrow afternoon at 1 p.m.