|Matchup||Merrimack (0-0) vs.
Oral Roberts (0-0)
|Dates//Times||Feb. 14-16 // 4 p.m. (Fri.) // 1 pm. | 4 p.m. (Sat.) // 2 p.m. (Sun.)|
|Venue||J.L. Johnson Stadium // Tulsa, Okla.|
|Gameday Links||Live Stats // Watch // Twitter // Instagram|
NORTH ANDOVER, Mass. – The Merrimack College baseball team looks to make its mark on Division I when it opens up play this weekend with a four-game series at Oral Roberts University. Merrimack battles the Golden Eagles beginning on Friday with a single game (4 p.m.). The Warriors play a twinbill with ORU on Saturday before commencing the series on Sunday afternoon.
Five Things to Know:
- In the infield, the Warriors return senior Joey Porricelli after an All-American season as a junior. He was named NE10 Co-Player of the Year after setting career highs in homers (9), triples (5), RBI (41), OPS (.946), slugging percentage (.551), on-base percentage (.395) and stolen bases (33). Classmates Nick Shumski and Thomas Joyce join Porricelli in the infield at shortstop and first base respectively; Shumski was the nation’s Gold Glove winner last year while Joyce was the team’s primary first baseman, setting career bests in total hits (56), homers (4), RBI (41), doubles (9), and steals (15). Joining the trio of seniors returns sophomore catcher Kurtis Stadnicki. Stadnicki, a NE10 All-Rookie selection last year, totaled 31 hits, 17 runs scored and 20 RBI. The freshman finished in a tie for third in the NE10 with 15 runners-caught-stealing.
- Merrimack returns juniors Michael Jamele and Thomas Crowley in the outfield. Jamele served as Merrimack’s primary center fielder last season, setting career highs in hits (31), runs (28), doubles (7), RBI (9), and steals (11). Crowley knocked in 20 runs, scored 18 more, and added 10 steals, five doubles and one home run. Joining Jamele and Crowley is sophomore outfielder Michael Golankiewicz. Golankiewicz was named a NE10 All-Rookie selection and two-time NE10 Rookie of the Week, ranking third on the team in homers (3), and fourth in RBI (27).
- On the mound, Merrimack’s starting pitching features graduate student Riley Sorenson and juniors Timmy Kalantzakos and Vin Zappulla. The trio were three of the team’s top four pitchers in terms of innings pitched. Kalantzakos posted a 1.98 ERA last year, Zapulla punched out a team-high 64 batters and Sorenson was versatile, winning three times as a starter while also posting four saves.
- Merrimack will be in Tulsa for its first four games of the season before taking the road to Greenville, Spartanburg, and Williamsburg respectively. The team will open up NEC play March 20 and will play its first home game March 27.
- Oral Roberts is projected first in the Summit League Preseason Poll. In 2019, the Golden Eagles reached the Summit League Championship before losing to Omaha. The Golden Eagles return two Summit All-League selections from last season.
Inside the Matchup:
|Merrimack (0-0) *All stats from 2019||Oral Roberts (0-0) *All stats from 2019|
The Warriors will travel to Greenville, S.C. February 21 to take on Michigan State. The Warriors will take on the Spartans in a four-game series.