WORCESTER, Mass. – Redshirt-sophomore Garrett Hudson (Greenfield, Mass.) pitched into the seventh inning on Wednesday afternoon against Assumption and sophomore Cam Monagle (Cambridge, Mass.) tossed 2.2 innings of scoreless relief to lead the Warriors to a 5-1 win over the Greyhounds from Rocheleau Field. The Warriors picked up their first Northeast Division victory of the season, while the hosts fell to 0-4 in divisional play.
Score: Merrimack 5, Assumption 1
Records: Merrimack (9-10, 1-0 NE Div.) | Assumptoin (8-13, 0-4 NE Div.)
Location: Rocheleau Field | Waltham, Mass.
Inning By Inning
- Bottom 1st – Three of the Greyhounds’ first four batters reached base, capped off by a single from their cleanup hitter to take an early 1-0 lead. Hudson buckled down from there retiring the final two batters on a popup to right and a grounder to senior Paul Buckley (Sagamore Beach, Mass.) at second base
- Bottom 3rd – Hudson loaded the bases in the third after retiring the first two batters, but proved resilient in inducing a fly-ball out to end the frame
- Top 4th – Merrimack’s bats broke through during its second time through the order. Redshirt-junior Tyler Lyne (Agawam, Mass.) led off with a double, and scored on a one-out double from junior Matt Nicholson (Rockland, Mass.). With two outs and Nicholson still on second, sophomore Matthew Ronai (Orange, Conn.) drove a single up the middle that plated Merrimack’s right fielder to give the Warriors a 2-1 lead
- Top 6th – The Warriors added insurance runs thanks to a three-run sixth. Lyne once again started things off with a hit, followed by a single from senior Cam DiSarcina(Shirley, Mass.). Junior Mike Hoalcraft (Fayetteville, N.Y.) dug into the box and drove in Lyne with a single of his own, and Ronai followed with a RBI on a fielder’s choice to make it a 4-1 game. With Hoalcraft on second, freshman Joey Porricelli (Monroe, Conn.) singled to left to add a fifth run to the scoreboard through six innings
- Bottom 7th – Monagle replaced Hudson with one out in the seventh, and quickly returned to the dugout by forcing a 5-4-3 double play
- Bottom 9th – After quickly getting two outs, three consecutive singles brought the tying run to the plate in Assumption’s leading hitter Andrew Jaehnig. The third-year catcher, however, lined out to right field to end the game
Inside The Numbers
- WP: Hudosn (2-2) | LP: Chudoba (1-3)
- For the second straight Northeast-10 Conference road start, Hudson put Merrimack in a position to win. His final line featured 6.1 innings, six hits, one earned run and two strikeouts. He now has two straight wins, throwing 13.1 IP and allowed two ER to lower his season ERA to 4.74
- Monagle has now thrown 18 straight scoreless innings following his relief outing Wednesday. He has 21 punch outs during the stretch – which has spanned four appearances – and now boasts a team-best 1.09 ERA
- With the RBi single, Ronai increased his hitting streak to 19 games follow his 1-for-4 effort at the dish. The Warriors’ designated hitter led the squad with a pair of RBI
- Hoalcraft and Lyne posted multi-hit efforts, leading the team with two base knocks apiece. Seven of Merrimack’s nine batters recorded base hits, including the 184th hit for DiSarcina – moving him into a tie for fifth in program history
The Warriors will play a three-game series against Stonehill College at Xaverian Brothers High School in Westwood, Mass. beginning on Friday with a single game at 3:30 p.m. The weekend slate will conclude on Saturday afternoon with a doubleheader beginning at 11 a.m. from Xaverian.