Merrimack Men’s Basketball Invited to CIT Tournament

Photo: Merrimack Athletics

NORTH ANDOVER — Following last night’s 61-50 victory over St. Francis-Brooklyn, Merrimack men’s basketball coach Joe Gallo confirmed that the Warriors have already received a postseason invite for the CollegeInsider.com Tournament, one of the two postseason tournaments the Warriors are eligible for during their NCAA Division I reclassification period.

Under NCAA rules, the Warriors are not eligible for the NCAA Tournament or NIT until 2024.

“We got an official invite from the CIT (Thursday) morning,” Gallo said. “If we want the spot, we have it.”

The Warriors haven’t officially accepted the offer yet. Gallo also said that the College Basketball Invitational reached out on Wednesday and said that Merrimack would be hearing from them next week with more information.

The CIT was created in 2009 by Collegeinsider.com and the total number of entrants has changed year-to-year. In 2012, the tournament expanded to 32 participating teams. In 2016 and 2017 the tournament featured 26 teams. The 2018 tournament had 20 teams. The 2019 tournament featured 26 teams.

Like the NCAA Tournament, the CIT is single-elimination. According to a story on Townson’s men’s basketball from 2017, it costs $30,000 to host an early-round game. CBS Sports Network is the media partner of the tournament, often airing at least the semifinals and finals on national television.

Marshall won last year’s tournament, beating Green Bay in the championship game.

About Mike McMahon 6287 Articles
Mike McMahon is in his 13th year covering Merrimack College for The Eagle Tribune and is the founder and managing editor of The Mack Report. Mike also serves on staff as a senior writer at College Hockey News. Follow him on Twitter @MikeMcMahonCHN

Be the first to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.




This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.