|Date||Saturday, Feb. 15, 2020 (1 p.m.)|
|Matchup||Merrimack (0-1, 0-0 NEC)
Dartmouth (0-0, 0-0 IVY)
|Location||Duane Stadium // North Andover, Mass.|
|Multimedia||Live Stats // Video|
|Social||Twitter // Instagram|
NORTH ANDOVER, Mass. – The Merrimack College men’s lacrosse team looks for its first NCAA Division I win when it welcomes in Ivy League foe Dartmouth to Duane Stadium Saturday afternoon.
Five Things to Know:
- Merrimack began its run in NCAA Division I play with a furious comeback that came up just short against Holy Cross Feb. 1 in North Andover. The Warriors trailed by as many as five goals against the Crusaders, but a pair of three-goal runs drew the home side level, before Holy Cross prevailed for a 13-12 victory. Christian Thomas led all players with six points on four goals and two assists and Tyler Liantonio added a hat trick to highlight his five-point afternoon. Peter Brown made nine saves in the goal.
- Although Charlie Bertrand had not yet played a second of Division I lacrosse, his name already held weight around the country. The two-time reigning NCAA Division II USILA National Player of the Year was chosen as the Inside Lacrosse Northeast Conference Preseason Player of the Year. The Baldwinsville, N.Y. native racked up 78 goals and 97 points in just 16 games last season and began 2020 with 251 career points. He has also notched a point in all 53 career games, which is the longest active streak in Division I lacrosse.
- Davis Cronin had a promising start to the season at the face-off X for the Warriors. The junior won 10 of 26 face-offs primarily against Holy Cross’ Dan O’Connell, who returned as a top-10 face-off man in the nation. Allyn French also appeared at the X in the first game of his collegiate career and took a pair of face-offs.
- The two-time defending NCAA Division II champion Warriors bring plenty of firepower back for their first season at the Division I level. Merrimack’s top three point producers from 2019 return to campus and 88.9% of the team’s overall scoring is back. Michael O’Connell is the only heavy offensive contributor that was lost to graduation, as he tallied 41 goals and 49 points last spring.
- The Big Green begins its season Saturday in North Andover after a 2-11 campaign in 2019. Dartmouth went winless in Ivy League play and its only wins came against Wagner and Binghamton. All 14 players that registered a point during the 2019 season return to Hanover, led by Ben Martin, who topped all players with 42 points on the strength of 27 goals and 15 assists. Kiernan Gunn went 62-for-167 at the face-off X to lead the Big Green. The 2020 Ivy League preseason poll was released in late-January with Dartmouth slated to finish last in the seven-team league.
Inside the Matchup:
|Merrimack (0-1, 0-0 NEC)||Category||Dartmouth (0-0, 0-0 IVY)|
|2/1 vs Holy Cross (L, 13-12)||Last Game||4/27/19 vs Brown (L, 11-7)|
The Warriors play their first road game of the season Tuesday, Feb. 18 when they travel to Connecticut to take on Fairfield. Face-off is set for 3 pm at Rafferty Stadium.
For continuing coverage of Merrimack College Athletics, visit MerrimackAthletics.com and follow the Warriors on Twitter and on Facebook.