NORTH ANDOVER, Mass. – Ten different players scored led by a career-high 10-points from sophomore Christian Thomas – his second such outing this season – to highlight a dominant victory in the final home game of the regular season for the No. 2 Merrimack College men’s lacrosse program on Tuesday afternoon. The Warriors downed 19th-ranked Assumption by a 22-7 final margin, sending off their senior class on a high note as part of Senior Day.
In addition to Christian Thomas’ heroics, classmate Sean Black chipped in six points on five helpers and a goal, while senior Michael O’Connellmatched Christian Thomas’ game lead with four goals himself. Junior Dom Thomas also boasted a hat trick, while classmate Nick Ponte turned away 9-of-13 shots on goal on the other end to earn another win in net.
Score: Merrimack 22, Assumption 7
Records: #4 Merrimack (11-1, 9-0 NE10) | #19 Assumption (8-5, 5-4 NE10)
Location: Duane Stadium | North Andover, Mass.
- Merrimack scored early and late in an opening quarter that saw them own a 4-0 lead at the end of. Thomas had two of those four strikes, and he was joined by junior Tyler Liantonio and freshman Drew Hailey, who had one goal apiece.
- The floodgates opened in the second; Liantonio, O’Connell and fellow senior Seamus Ford extended Merrimack’s lead to 7-0 – including the first in nearly two years by Ford – before Assumption finally got on the board with 8:16 to play in the half. But the Warriors tackled on five more from there to open up a 13-1 lead at the midway point, with freshman Christian Glover netting his first collegiate goal during that sequence and junior Dom Thomas securing two goals of his own.
- The hosts tacked on six more in the third frame, outscoring the Greyhounds by two and led by a 19-4 margin entering the fourth stanza. O’Connell added two to his total, with one apiece from both Christian Thomas and Dom Thomas, as well as sophomore Sean Snyder and freshman Lance Crate.
- Ford, Snyder and Crate rounded out the potent offensive outing for the home side with two more markers in the fourth, rounding out the Senior Day victory.
Notes and Numbers
- In addition to Christian Thomas’ game-leading 10-point outing (4g, 6a), Black – the reigning NE10 Player of the Week – added another six points to his season total on five helpers and a goal.
- O’Connell was next on the ledger with five points (4g, 1a), one ahead of Dom Thomas’ four points (3g, 1a). Liantonio (2g, 1a), Crate (2g), Ford (2g) and Snyder (2g) all had multi-goal outings, while rookie Max Morrill added two assists.
- Nick Ponte stopped nine of the 13 shots that reached him for another stellar outing and moved to 6-0 on the year while raising his save percentage to .618. Sophomore Peter Brown played the final 15 minutes and made four saves.
- Sophomore Davis Cronin dominated the X, winning 17-of-23 draws, while Glover had another fantastic outing with three caused turnovers and four round balls to lead all Warriors.
- The 22 goals were two shy of Merrimack’s single-game high this season set against AIC, while the 38 shots on goal were a new single-game best for the team.
- Merrimack extended its conference winning streak to 20 straight contests, the longest active streak in the NE10 and in the country. Merrimack has also now won 22 straight games at home, the longest active home winning streak in the country.
- Merrimack has never lost in 24 tries against Assumption.
- Shots: 52-35 (38-20 SOG)
- EMO: 2-6 // 1-3
- Faceoffs: 20-11 // Ground Balls: 38-30
- Turnovers (CT): 14-16 (8-7) // Clears: 21-23 // 18-22
Merrimack will set its sights on third-ranked Adelphi in what promises to be a hotly contested matchup on Long Island this Saturday (April 20). Game time from Motamed Field is 1 p.m.