North Andover, Mass. – It took three goals to give Northeast Conference (NEC) leader Merrimack College and head coach Tony Martone his 400th career victory against Mount Saint Mary’s University. Martone becomes the 50th men’s soccer coach to reach the feat across all three divisions.
A goal by sophomore Gianluca Arlotti in the 22nd minute set the tone on a rainy October afternoon at Mortone-Mejail Field. The Warriors scored again in the 68th minute when sophomore Tola Showunmi found the back of the net after receiving the cross from sophomore Francesco Dondini. The final goal of the game was an own goal by Mount Saint Mary’s. With the win today, the Warriors move to 8-3-2 on the season and remain undefeated in conference play.
Score: Merrimack 3 , Mount Saint Mary’s 0
Records: Merrimack (8-3-1) | Mount Saint Mary’s (6-8)
Location: Martone-Mejail Field | North Andover, Mass.
- Merrimack’s first goal of the day was scored by Arlotti. The goal was his first of the season.
- The Warriors scored again on a cross by Dondini that found a streaking Showunmi to give Merrimack a two-goal advantage.
- The third goal of the game was an own goal scored by Mount Saint Mary’s
Stats & Figures
- Grad student goalkeeper Lucas Rezende got his sixth shutout of the season
- The Warriors took 19 shots which included 3 on goal
- Harvard lead in corners by the count of 8-0
- No cards were given during the match
Merrimack heads to Connecticut to take on Central Connecticut on Friday, November 1st. Kickoff is set for 6 p.m.