New Britain, Conn. – Three goals in each half helped the Merrimack College men’s soccer team secure a victory over Central Connecticut State on Friday night. With the win the Warriors maintain their stand-alone spot atop the Northeast Conference (NEC) standings.
With a Warriors win on Sunday against Fairleigh Dickinson and a Long Island University loss to Mount Saint Mary’s, Merrimack will clinch the NEC regular season title.
Score: Merrimack 6, Central Connecticut State 0
Records: Merrimack (9-3-1) | Central Connecticut State (0-13-1)
Location: CCSU Soccer Field | New Britain, Conn.
- Merrimack’s first goal of the game was scored by sophomore Stefano Pesenti in the 10th minute. The goal was assisted by junior Tola Showunmi
- Freshman Marc Torrellas scored nine minutes later to put the Warriors up two early on in the first period.
- Junior forward Filippo Begliardi Ghidini jump in on the scoring in the 32nd minute to give Merrimack a three-goal lead heading into halftime.
- Begliardi Ghidini started the second half on a high note, scoring his second goal of the game only a minute into the half
- Showunmi scored another Merrimack goal of the game in the 76th minute. The goal was assisted by freshman Alessandro Negri.
- Senior Kevin Esper scored Merrimack’s final goal of the game in the 87th minute. The goal is Esper’s second of the season
Stats & Figures
- Grad student goalkeeper Lucas Rezende got his seventh shutout of the season
- Showunmi had a season high six shots on goal
- The Warriors took 27 shots which included 17 on goal
- The Warriors lead in corners by the count of 5-0
Merrimack comes home Sunday to face Fairleigh Dickinson in the second to last home game of the season. Kickoff is set for 2 p.m.