NORTH ANDOVER, Mass. – Freshman Tola Showunmi scored the game-winning goal in the 63rd minute to give the Merrimack College men’s soccer team a victory on senior day, shutting out Assumption 1-0. The win for the Warriors all but locks up a top-four spot in the Northeast 10 Conference Championship, meaning Merrimack will host the first round on Tuesday night.
In addition to the win, the Warriors recognized the eight seniors for their hard work and dedication to the team; Michael Romeo, Jack Feehan, Paul Magazzu, Michael Haley, Lars Sund, Sergio Martinez, Tyler Packett, and Sam King.
Score: Assumption 0, Merrimack 1
Records: Merrimack (11-5-0, 8-5-0 NE10) | Assumption (8-5-2, 6-4-2 NE10)
Location: Martone-Mejail Field | North Andover, Mass.
How it Happened:
- Merrimack, familiar with close games this season, took the Greyhounds into the first half scoreless; the Warriors were able to outshoot Assumption 8-2 through the opening 45 minutes.
- For as impressive as the first the offensive showing was in the first half, the Warriors allowed just one shot on goal in the opening 45 minutes; it proved to be the only shot on goal for the Greyhounds all evening.
- In the 63rd minute, Merrimack took the game. On a ball inside the six, freshman Tola Showunmi was able to finish off a pass from junior Mirko Nufi; the goal decided the game, as the Warriors locked down defensively for the remaining 27 minutes.
Notes and Numbers
- The Warriors clinched the fourth seed in the NE10 standings with the win.
- Merrimack has posted eight shutouts this season; one shy of nine from last season.
- Assumption was outshot 14-5, with 6-1 shot-on-goal differential
- The Warriors are now 9-1 at home, with the only loss coming to #9 Adelphi..
- Keeper records: – W, Tyler Packett (1 Saves, 11-5-0,) // L – Sebastian Jimenez (5 Saves, 8-6-2)
- Shots (SOG): MER – 16 (6) // ASM – 5 (1)
- Corners: MER – 5 // ASM – 3
Merrimack will host the first round of the Northeast 10 Conference tournament Tuesday, October 30; who they play will be determined over the next two days.