NORTH ANDOVER, Mass. – Two goals proved to be the difference Tuesday night, as the Merrimack College men’s soccer team secured a spot in the Northeast 10 Conference semifinal with a 2-0 shutout victory over Assumption College.
Freshman Tola Showunmi started the scoring just seven minutes into the contest, netting his second game-winner of the year against the Greyhounds; junior Aasmund Joedahl netted the go-ahead goal in the first half, and senior Tyler Packett earned his ninth shutout of the season.
With top-seeded Le Moyne falling 2-1 against #8 American International, the Warriors will host the NE10 semifinal Friday night.
Score: Assumption 0, Merrimack 2
Records: Merrimack (12-5-0, 9-5-0 NE10) | Assumption (8-7-2, 6-6-2 NE10)
Location: Martone-Mejail Field | North Andover, Mass.
How it Happened:
- It took just seven minutes before the Warriors got on the board. After firing off multiple shots, the home team was able to find a gap in the Assumption defense. A ball from senior Sam King was timed perfect on a run from freshman Tola Showunmi; after getting one-on-one with freshman keeper Sebastian Jimenez, the England native slotted a low shot, giving the first lead of the game to the game to the hosts.
- In the 30th minute, the Warriors doubled its lead. A ball played in from the far corner hit the feet of junior Aasmund Joedahl; he made a few moves inside the 18, and was able to sneak a shot past the outstretched Jimenez.
- Jimenez made a plethora of big saves, keeping the Greyhounds within reach; in total, he stopped seven shots in the opening 45 minutes.
- The second half proved to be scoreless, with Merrimack shutting down defensively and giving up just three shots.
Notes and Numbers
- The Warriors will host an NE10 semifinal for the second straight season.
- Merrimack has posted nine shutouts this season, equaling last year’s total.
- This is the second year that a #8 seed has made it through the first round, with American Int’l beating Le Moyne this year.
- The Warriors have won its 10th game at home this season.
- Tola Showunmi has scored a goal in both games against Assumption this season.
- Keeper records: – W, Tyler Packett (2 Saves, 12-5-0,) // L – Sebastian Jimenez (7 Saves, 8-7-2)
- Shots (SOG): MER – 14 (9) // ASM – 7 (2)
- Corners: MER – 5 // ASM – 4
Merrimack will host American International this Friday, November 2, in the semifinal round of the Northeast 10 Conference tournament. Game time is set for 7 p.m.