NORTH ANDOVER, Mass. – Four goals was all it took Sunday, as Merrimack shut down Molloy 4-0 in the Merrimack Kickoff Classic finale.
Score: Merrimack 4, Molloy 0
Records: Merrimack (2-0-0) | Molloy (0-1-1)
Location: Martone-Mejail Field | North Andover, Mass.
How it Happened
- Back-and-forth action was the story of the beginning of the game, as neither team really found an edge
- Merrimack’s first goal came on a really nice set piece goal. From 22 yards out, a low, bending ball through the box found the foot of senior Lars Sund, who slotted in his first of the year.
- Senior Paul Magazzu‘s work-horse ethic proved to pay off for a second goal in the first 45 minutes. After ringing the post in his second shot attempt of the game, he gave freshman teammate Henry Osei a golden flick pass that resulted in a goal from three yards out.
- Three more shots were pounded on frame for the Warriors, but nothing came of it as the half closed out with a 2-0 lead.
- Five minutes into the second half, Osei wanted more; what he got was a beautiful assisting pass to freshman Tola Showunmi. The English forward collected a pass from Osei, turned inside the six, and buried a shot into the corner of the net.
- Six minutes later, Showunmi collected his second career goal, breaking away from the back line and carrying the ball nearly 20 yards before beating Molloy keeper Raul Bonilla 1-on-1.
- Things got aggressive after, with three of the four total cards coming out after the final goal of the match. Things ended with the Warriors improving to 2-0 on the season.
Notes and Numbers
- Merrimack out shot the Lions, 13-3 in the matchup.
- The Warriors posted a .692 shooting percentage, putting nine shots on goal.
- Senior keeper Tyler Packett didn’t make a save in the entire game, posting his second shutout of the season with just four saves through two games.
- Three of the four goals came from freshman off the bench; Showunmi being the highlight performance.
- Keeper records: W- Tyler Packett (0 Saves, 2-0-0,) // L- Raul Bonilla (5 Saves, 0-1-1)
- Shots (SOG): MER – 13 (9) // MOL – 3 (0)
- Corners: MER – 6 // MOL – 2
The Warriors have six days off before returning Saturday at Martone-Mejail Field to take on Post University. Game time scheduled for 2 p.m.