NORTH ANDOVER, Mass. – A late goal in the last 15 minutes by freshman Denis Petro propelled Umass Lowell to victory in Tuesday night’s non-conference matchup against the Merrimack College men’s soccer team at Martone-Mejail Field. With the loss, the Warriors moved to 2-2 in their inaugural Division I campaign.
Links: Box Score // Highlights
Tuesday’s game marked the program’s first-ever DI contest on campus.
Score: UMass Lowell 1, Merrimack 0
Records: Merrimack (2-2) | UMass Lowell (3-2-1)
Location: Martone-Mejail Field | North Andover, Mass.
- Merrimack had its best scoring chance of the first half on a shot by junior Filippo Begliardi Ghidini that hit the cross bar and bounced out to Umass Lowell.
- In the second half, the River Hawks struck first on a goal by Denis Petro in the 76th minute, which was assisted by Renato Kauzlaric.
- In the 87th minute, the Warriors had their final scoring chance go wide right, which ended up sealing the deal for the River Hawks.
Stats & Figures
- Begliardi Ghidini led Merrimack with four shots on goal
- The Warriors outshot the River Hawks, 10-7
- Merrimack had its season high in fouls with 21 on the night
- Five yellow cards and one red card were handed out during the game
Merrimack travels to the University of Vermont on Saturday evening, facing the Catamount in Burlington, Vt. at 7 p.m. from Virtue Field.